Earthjustice is the original environmental law organization, built on the belief that we all have a right to a healthy environment. We fight, using the power of the law to preserve, protect, and promote a healthier, more sustainable world for everyone. Through far-reaching, big-impact litigation, we ensure that those who jeopardize the health of the planet are held accountable to the law. We work tenaciously to preserve our natural heritage, safeguard our health, and promote a clean energy future.
Earthjustice has nine regional offices, an international program, and legislative policy and communications advocacy teams. We hire the best and brightest who share our passion for justice and a healthy environment for all people.
The Washington, D.C. office of Earthjustice is seeking a highly-experienced litigator and policy advocate to assist our efforts to enhance ocean ecosystems. The attorney selected for this position will focus on both litigation and other advocacy related to oceans. The attorney will be expected to engage in the full range of our activities to protect the oceans, including handling cases relating to fisheries, water quality, and other issues that affect ocean life. In addition, the attorney will be expected to participate in other advocacy efforts in furtherance of ocean conservation, including administrative and legislative activities.
- Conduct factual investigations, develop legal theories, draft pleadings and briefs, and otherwise build a docket and manage new cases in state or federal courts and administrative tribunals.
- Supervise the work of other lawyers, interns, and litigation assistants, who are part of the team on each case.
- Manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Integrate communications and policy advocacy into strategies for far-reaching, high-impact litigation.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and we offer an exceptional benefits package.
- Applicants must be law school graduates, who are admitted, or willing to apply for admission, to the District of Columbia bar.
- At least 10 years of litigation experience in environmental law, preferably including significant experience litigating ocean resource cases in federal court.
- Experience in administrative and judicial proceedings, at both the trial and appellate levels, including discovery, motion practice, evidentiary hearings, and oral argument.
- Superb research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Initiative, good judgment, a strong work ethic, passion for the environment, and proven ability to work both independently and in productive collaboration with others.
Application Procedure: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position is open immediately. Please send a cover letter, resume, a writing sample from recent litigation, and names and contact information of three references by e-mail to: email@example.com . Subject line should read: Staff Attorney Application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No telephone calls and no hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.