UCSF Human Resources
UCSF Human Resources provides quality HR services to attract, develop, motivate and retain a diverse workforce within a supportive work environment.
The HR Generalist 3/4 serves as a member of a Staff HR Team within a shared-services model of the integrated AP/HR organization. This position will be the key HR contact for a set of client departments and is responsible for collaborating with departments, schools, business units and specialty centers to deliver efficient and effective HR services and ensure compliance with UCSF policy and procedures.
The Generalist will be responsible for administering HR policies and procedures that span a comprehensive array of functional areas including: employment; compensation, salary administration, benefits and leave; performance management; employee relations and labor relations. The HR Generalist 3/4 will serve as a strategic partner for client departments to facilitate their business objectives, particularly in complex situations. The HR Generalist 3/4 will exercise sound judgment skills to analyze, resolve/recommend solutions to unique and challenging problems, often involving a variety of campus stakeholders, and provide policy guidance and interpretation for routine and non-routine matters.
The HR Generalist 3/4 will be held accountable to high customer service standards, service level agreements and related metrics. The HR Generalist 3/4 will perform all duties with tact, discretion and according to confidentiality requirements. The candidate will also perform other related duties.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
• Bachelor’s Degree, or combination of education and 5 years HR experience
• 3-5 Years’ experience in UC or other large institution or university HR service
• Requires intermediate to advanced knowledge of, and ability to apply/interpret, system-wide and campus policies and procedures which govern staff HR
• Possesses strong analytical, critical and innovative thinking skills to conduct analyses and develop recommendations, demonstrating sophisticated organizational and problem-solving skills
• Possesses ability to analyze complex management issues; develop project scope and solutions, give sound advice to department officials and to make critical decisions regarding personnel
• Have thorough knowledge of campus goals, priorities, and values and the legal and human implications of decisions
• Ability to analyze complex issues, make recommendations and advise clients on personnel issues
• Experience with employment practices, labor relations, salary administration, training and other areas of human resources policies and procedures governing staff employees
• Strong knowledge of campus policies, procedures, and functional areas associated with HR administration, and how work may impact other areas
• Knowledge of trends in human resource management and administration, preferably within a large public university or public institution setting
• Experience with HR business software programs and systems
• Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences verbally and in writing
• Demonstrated skill in prioritizing competing work assignments and integrating information to determine appropriate courses of action and their implications
• Demonstrated initiative, tact and planning skills
• Demonstrated political acumen and ability to handle very difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively
Physical Demands: requires sitting, standing, walking, bending, waist twisting, climbing stairs, reaching above/ below shoulder height, lifting/carrying/pushing/ pilling up to 20 pounds, fine finger manipulation, gross manipulation, simple/power grasp, repetitive hand/arm use, ability to differentiate color and verbal communication.
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required.
• PHR or SPHR certification