Our innovative advertising industry client needs a Staff Technical Writer to create in-product documentation, online help, and feature guides about its technology for bringing current ads to video-on-demand (VOD) and time-shifted (DVR’d) TV content.
They need a meticulous writer – with flawless grammar and tidy, typo-free samples – to work solo, onsite, fully owning and autonomously writing end user content, (a little) developer doc, and even some marcom material. It’s crucial that you be completely hands-on with the product and fully engaged with the team, but your technical prowess isn’t nearly as important as your writing skills. If you can articulate their message – and the product’s nuances – clearly, succinctly, and accurately, they’ll teach you the rest.
You’ll augment and improve a sparse doc set, created in RoboHelp and WordPress, using any tool(s) you choose. Ultimately, you can completely replace what you inherit; they’re not married to a specific tool or documentation strategy. Your focus, at least for the first year, will be 70% on creating user doc, 25% on dev doc (no programming experience required), and 5% on marketing materials such as data sheets and feature/benefit documents.
The ideal candidate is exceptionally detail-oriented, has worked in a quality-driven software development startup, and is ready to fly solo. Prior pubs management experience might help, unless you’d actually prefer to manage than to be a solo individual contributor for a couple years.
This will be full-time (40 hours/week), salaried, all (or mostly) onsite work in San Jose. You’ll earn a competitive (5-figure, not 6-figure) salary plus complete benefits and pre-IPO stock options.
- Experience documenting powerful software for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Working knowledge of RoboHelp and/or WordPress
- Strong teamwork and consensus-building skills
- Ability to create conceptual illustrations
- Sharable, superior writing samples and reachable references
- Full-time availability
- Ability to work in San Jose, CA (traveling at your own expense)
To apply :
- Experience administering WordPress (not just using it)
- Background in publications management, project management, or product marketing generating external customer-facing content
Please visit contentrules.com/apply , citing “STV-345″ in the Job Code field.
Note : Content Rules has many content-development opportunities with SF Bay Area technology companies. Visit www.contentrules.com/jobs for details.