Reporting to the Director of Legislative Affairs, the State Legislative Assistant will support the organization’s efforts to implement a state legislative strategy around both its K-12 and higher education policy agenda.
Qualifications and Experience
- Track state legislative and regulatory proposals relevant to the Education Trust’s agenda;
- Attend briefings, meetings, hearings, and other events, and report on the importance of discussed content to the Education Trust’s agenda;
- Conduct research on state legislative proposals and policy recommendations relevant to K-12 and higher education, with a focus on equity;
- Assist in developing and maintaining a database of state legislative and executive branch representatives that can be used to track proposals, meetings, affiliations, contacts, and other interactions;
- Organize and update the division’s online document repository and collaborative workspace;
- Organize the logistics for state legislative briefings, meetings, and conference calls, as well as compiling and distributing materials before and after briefings, meetings, and other events;
- Assist with record keeping, scheduling, budget tracking and reporting, and other administrative duties;
- Provide support to the legislative affairs and field teams as needed;
- Serve as a resource to state-level advocates working on equity-oriented legislative proposals.
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- A bachelor’s degree required;
- Strong interest and familiarity with education reform issues at both the K-12 and higher education levels, data analysis, and administrative recordkeeping;
- The ability to multitask and to prioritize competing demands, but the flexibility to handle the unexpected;
- A self-starter with strong follow-through skills and attention to detail, especially under deadline pressures;
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral;
- Strong team-building and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop professional relationships with staff and partner organizations in order to maintain ongoing informal communications;
- Superb organizational and time-management skills;
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Salsa;
- Ability to work independently, anticipate issues and opportunities, and make appropriate judgment calls;
- Commitment to the Education Trust’s mission of closing the achievement gap while raising achievement for all students.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
The Education Trust - 11 months ago