The general purpose of this position is to assist the Crane Operator with loading/unloading operations. Performs general property and building maintenance as assigned.
RESPONSIBILITIES, AUTHORITIES, AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. Attaches load handing devices such as chains, cables, and hooks to material being loaded/unloaded.
2. Gives directions to Crane Operators engaged in loading/unloading materials to insure safety of workers, materials, and equipment using hand signals or VHF radio (Leaderman).
3. Positions dunnage for loading/unloading of stell and equipment products to prevent damage to cargo or equipment.
4. Cleans barge decks and cargo areas with broom, shovel or Bobcat equipment.
5. Positions trucks or rail equipment for loading/unloading of materials by use of hand signals, cable winch equipment.
6. Operates hand brakes and doors on rail equipment to perform loading/unloading of materials.
7. Performs assembly/disassembly of rigging, buckets, electromagnets, cables, blocks, etc for performing loading/unloading of materials by weight, size, and type.
8. Performs barge securing and positioning with capstan, lines and in conjunction with vessel crews during loading/unloading to maintain control and prevent injury, damage.
9. Performs positioning and discharge of rail equipment in conjunction with Crane Operators by placement of railcar, adjustment of hand brakes, opening/closing of car doors to enable flow of coal or other commodities into hoppers for conveyor transfer. May require the positioning and operation of car shaking appliance by control of electrical switches.
10. Performs property and building maintenance as assigned.
11. Assists all other positions with general labor.
12. Performs duties in manner that allow the Terminal's services to comply with QCPs and SOPs; participates in meeting measurable performance objectives and works toward continuous improvement in meeting or exceeding Customer requirements.
Supervision Received: Reports to the Foreman, Foreman/Coordinator, Foreman/Maintenance, Maintenance Supervisor or Termincal Manager as required.
Supervision Exercised: No direct supervision however must be able to work in groups to achieve performance of directed duties.
Outside Contacts: Regular contacts with other transportation carriers, vendors and subcontractors. Occasional contact with customers or customer representatives..
Physical Conditions: Good physical health. Ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Hours of Work: Frequently required to work excess of 40 hrs per week and amy be assigned to shift work within 24/7 operation.
Working Conditions: Works primarily outdoors, subject to inclement weather conditions including temperatures below 32 or above 100 degrees. Subject to noise, vibration, moving equipment and parts, electrical currents, heights, reactive solutions.
Specific Knowledge & Experience Required:
1. High School education or equivalent.
2. Ability to understand and comply with collective bargaining agreements.
3. To have and maintain a valid drivers license.
4. To have and maintain an operational telephone.
General Mental Reasoning Abilities Required:
The ability to apply common sense in executing duties as instructed.
The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and non-verbally; to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; and to present ideas, facts and technical information.
The ability to perform effectively under stress to meet deadlines.
The ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide and to perform those operations with units such as numbers, weights, or measurements.
The ability to adapt to situations involving the interpretation of feelings, ideas, or facts in terms of personal viewpoint; to use creativity, self expression, or imagination.
The ablity to perform repetitive work; to continuously perform the same work according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
The ability to adapt to situations requiring the precicse attainment of set limits, tolerance, or standards; to be precise, thorough, exacting, or meticulous in regard to material worked; or in activities such as numerical determinations, record preparation, or inspecting.
The ability to receive guidance and supervision; follow work rules, safety practices, work procedures; meet deadlines, punctuality and attendance standards.
Special Abilities & Skills:
1. Must be able to operate/use misc hand tools, Bobcat, VHF radio, tractor.
2. Ability to ascend or descend ladders, scaffolding, riverbanks and traverse loose materials with agility and maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling.
3. Ability to lower the body to floor level and move about.
4. Ability to extend both arms in any direction.
5. Ability to support oneself in an erect position.
6. Ability to substantially press against an object with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
7. Ability to exert a considerable force of up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move, draw, toss, drag, haul, or tug objects in a sustained motion.
8. Ability to raise substanial objecs from lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position.
9. Ability to manipulate small objects precisely by whatever means.
10. Ability to apply considerable grasping type pressure to an object.
11. Ability to perceive attributes of objects such as size, shapre, temperature or texture by tactile means.
12. Ability to express, understnad or exchange ideas by means of spoken word.
13. Ability to perceive the nature of sounds with no less than a 40 dB loss @ 500Hz, 1,000Hz and 2,000Hz with or without correction.
14. Ability to be sujected to substantial repetitive motions of the body or its parts.
15. Ability to train and perform operation of Bobcat equipment sufficient to perform job requirements.
Watco, Inc. - 21 months ago
Watco Companies (WCI) offers a wide-range of railcar services. Subsidiary Watco Transportation Services (WTS) runs 20-plus short-line...