The Stitcher will be responsible for working with the Costumer/Draper/Craftsperson to construct, alter, and modify costumes for all productions as designated by the Costume Shop Manager.
- Education: four (4) year degree or equivalent professional experience in theatre costume construction.
- Experience: two (2) or more years professional experience in top professional regional costume shops and/or commercial shops.
- Skills: Ability to sew and alter clothes. Ability to operate Costume Shop machinery and tools, including but not limited to domestic and industrial sewing machines, sergers/overlock machines, steamers, irons, washer and dryers, and dye vats.
- Physical Mobility: Requires wide range of mobility and fine motor skills with expert dexterity. Ability to stoop, reach, bend at the waist, grasp and pick up objects, maneuver in cramped areas, move quickly, perform minor repairs to equipment, stand for long periods of time, lift and carry equipment and other heavy materials and supplies, and climb ladders
- Environmental Conditions: Areas inlcude costume shop, crafts shop, dye room, fitting room, costume storage areas, and occasional visits to scene shop. Will be exposed to hazardous and toxic materials including, but not limited to, gases, vapors, fumes, particulates and nano-particulates from chemicals, dyes, bleach, paints, adhesives, solvents, sizing fabric preservatives, binders, and cleansers. Exposure to noise and dust. Equipment operated has various moving parts and must be operated with expert dexterity following all prescribed safety procedures.
- Mental: Ability to work under pressure and meet inflexible deadlines; abiliyt to work on several tasks simultaneously; ability to pay strict attention to detail; ability to remain calm and composed when working in difficult situations or with difficult people. Ability to approach problem solving in an organized and pragmatic manner; ability to deal with repetitive and tedious tasks with a good attitude; ability to work with students
- Experience: prior work in televisions, film, dance, opera, musicals, and theatre. Exposure to New York or Los Angeles operations.
Temporary Part Time less than 4 months
Minimum Education Level
Associate's Degree or equivalent
Carnegie Mellon University - 15 months ago
We are a global research university with more than 12,000 students, 92,000 alumni and 5,000 faculty and staff. Carnegie Mellon has been a...