Responsible for managing all functions of a college bookstore including budgets and financial goals, service levels, policy administration, employment, supervision and development of store staff, maintenance of sales and inventory records and related matters. Coordinates sales promotions, special events, book signings, and directs employees preparing merchandise displays, store layout, and advertising copy. Oversees and approves the ordering of books and merchandise. Ensures compliance with company policies and procedures related to Store security, the staff and merchandise. Interfaces with students, faculty, staff, and school administrators ensuring good campus relations, and resolves complaints and escalated issues in a timely and satisfactory manner.
- Manages and supervises store personnel including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, associate performance and salary reviews. When necessary, handles disciplinary issues and writes corrective action plans.
- Prepares and implements detail plans for each department for associate schedules and hours, budgets, floor plans, and Rush. Reviews work schedule and ensures adequate store coverage.
- Provides input on budget estimates for the year. Analyzes store financials to determine store and department performance and adjusts unfavorable categories. Approves and analyzes store markups, markdowns and write-offs to ensure they are within company guidelines. Summarizes data into management reports. Monitors cash procedures, payables and receivables.
- Interfaces with customers, faculty, staff, administrators, vendors, and Home Office staff to exchange information. Provides outstanding customer service to a diverse customer base including faculty, students and staff. Answers routine inquiries and handles escalated complaints. May occasionally entertain campus contact or other influential campus personnel.
- Interfaces with campus police regarding store security, employees, customers or store assets. Ensures the safety of company funds, assets, personnel, customers and property and adherence of policies.
- Performs duties of course materials area working with store staff. Analyzes enrollment figures, past history, inventory levels and current adoptions to determine the number of books to buy during buyback and the quantity of new books to order. Ensures orders are placed in a timely manner. Calls in orders to vendors and publishers. Plans for and actively promotes buy backs.
- Seeks input from Regional Manager in developing saleable inventory plans with store staff to maintain proper levels to meet customer demand. Plans for special sales and promotions. Schedules regular appointments to meet with school representatives or other personnel. Manages the visual presentation to create an exciting shopping environment for customers.
- Composes letters, memos, reports, as needed. Issues store directives regarding store hours, store security and policies and procedures. Prepares invoices, charge backs, store stock shipments, and other back office functions.
- May work on renovation projects, store reorganizations, new store openings, and store closings. May respond to managerial or Home Office requests for special reports, information, or for help on special projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- 1-2 years of retail management or strong customer service experience.
- Academic retail experience a plus.
- Strong organizational, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Strong customer service, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical skills and financial acumen.
- Advanced relationship building.
- Demonstrated ability to influence a team and customer outreach.
- Experience with POS systems, inventory management systems
- Supervise 2 or more full-time associates.
Follett has been a trusted partner to Pre-K and K-12 schools, districts, and college campuses for more than 140 years, taking care of the...