PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:|
To manage the assigned store in a manner which ensures that all retail sales and related activities are performed in a professional, courteous, reliable and results-oriented manner. This direction should promote the goals and objectives of the company and put an emphasis on an increase in sales and profits.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENTRY:
- Participates with supervisor in establishing meaningful goals and policy guidelines pertaining to retail sales operations; and helps develop effective plans and programs to achieve sales goals and objectives.
- Supervises and coordinates assigned retail functions and personnel which includes interviewing, selecting qualified employees, scheduling employees for adequate coverage, fielding questions on product and procedures, providing technical expertise as needed, directing employee work responsibilities, conducting employee training and performance evaluations, presenting employee disciplinary action, and calculating employee commissions/bonuses.
- Coordinates and tracks employee training and ensures all personnel are properly trained in their respective positions by instructing them in selling and merchandising techniques, appropriate customer service skills and by completing the Northern Star Sales Training Program.
- Ensures effective communication and implementation of approved plans and programs to obtain the understanding, involvement, and commitment of assigned employees by keeping them informed of, and trained in the use of, new products, ongoing advertising, price changes, Company and regional sales promotions and contests and regular in-store games and contests that are approved by the Regional Manager to generate sales and excitement.
- Spends adequate time on the retail show floor to ensure an increase in employee knowledge so employees see opportunities to make add-on sales and to ensure compliance to all non-negotiable sales standards as indicated by mystery shop scores. Also to ensure that all customers are assisted in a professional, courteous, reliable, honest, and responsive manner, that their customers’ needs or complaints are dealt with in a timely manner, that an adequate supply of product literature is always available and to personally assist them as needed.
- Ensures that store appearance is in compliance to Company policy, i.e, the Company BOSS program, and that all changes made in the showroom and outside of the store displays the product effectively to promotes sales, is properly priced and signed and is consistently maintained in a neat and orderly condition. Completes all merchandising programs in a timely manner by merchandising Hot Topics, completing designed planograms, maintaining Great Buys dump bins and Case Lots and highlighting Features.
- Seeks ways to maximize alternate sources of revenue by ensuring VAC sales meet or exceed Company goals, Northern credit card sales and new approved applications meet or exceed Company goals and service department meets or exceeds Company goals regarding sales, parts, billing of technical hours, and filing of warranty claims.
- Ensures that inventory at the store is properly managed to meet Company inventory standards and that shrinkage of inventory is minimized.
- Works with Merchandising to ensure that adequate inventory is allocated to the store, informs them of repeated problems with products, recommends added or discontinued products, notifies them of recurring stock-out situations, abnormal sales trends and other information relevant to allocating inventory. Provides input concerning inventory issues to their Regional Sales Manager for follow-up when necessary.
- Develops, analyzes and adheres to approved budgetary requirements.
- Prices, or assists in pricing, discontinued and surplus items and coordinates the sale of such merchandise.
- Informs the Retail Marketing department of any local advertising opportunities to ensure the effectiveness of the media used and to increase retail sales.
- Ensures that money from sales is balanced daily and taken to the designated banking facility. Investigates and reports discrepancies, then takes corrective action when necessary.
- Ensures that the Company’s assets are adequately protected against theft or other suspicious activity by complying with all Company written loss prevention policies.
- Participates in all non-commissionable events deemed necessary by the Company, i.e., sales meetings, trade shows, etc. 16. Keeps supervisor informed of important developments, potential problems and related information necessary for effective management. Coordinates/communicates plans and activities with others to ensure a coordinated work effort and “team” approach.
- Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school education plus at least 2 years of college or appropriate technical training. Prefer bachelor’s degree or equivalent in marketing, business administration or a related field.
- At least 3 years of related retail sales experience.
- Knowledge of light industrial products, hydraulics, etc.
- Very high mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of others.
- Must exhibit strong leadership and sound decision making qualities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a wide variety of customers, Company personnel and others.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to use hands to handle objects; and talk or hear.
- Ability to lift up to 70 pounds.
- Frequent bending, twisting, stooping, reaching and lifting.
- Required to stand on cement floor for long periods of time.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Northern Tool + Equipment has been a supplier of high-quality tools and equipment for more than 26 years, selling products through direct...