STORES SPECIALIST, BOOKSTORE
LOCAL 587 MEMBERS WILL BE GIVEN FIRST
PREFERENCE IN THE SELECTION PROCESS
CLOSING DATE : February 22, 2013
NATURE OF WORK :
Under general supervision of the Manager, to perform complex clerical, bookkeeping, and lead worker duties related to the operation of bookstore and branch campus store facilities.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
Duties listed may vary in terms of relative importance and others may be added or eliminated as this position develops. In addition, specific positions within this classification may have special duties and special qualifications. Duties with a circle (•) before the number are essential functions as defined by ADA.
•1. Directs and assists bookstore employees and student help in filing of bookstore records confirming invoices for discount and costs.
•2. Assigns and reviews the work of lower level bookstore employees and student help.
•3. Serves as a liaison between branch campus bookstores to coordinate inventory control, ordering of books, returning of books, and related operations.
•4. Maintains records on prices and price increases.
•5. Examines incoming books for correct copyright, printing, edition, etc.
•6. Assists in resolving problems in customer transactions.
•7. Audits computations by other employees; personally makes computations which involve a large number of rules and procedures including invoice evaluation, book return authorizations, agency billings, etc.
•8. Operates calculator, duplicating machines, typewriter, adding machine, and other office equipment.
•9. Acts as receptionist, providing callers, customers, and teachers with information of a technical nature; exercises discretion in determining whether and what information should be released.
•10. May assume responsibility for the operation of the Bookstore in the absence of the Manager.
11. Performs related duties as required or assigned.
Requires a high school graduation or G.E.D. equivalency; four (4) years of related work experience, two (2) of which must have included a full range of duties in a bookstore operation; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to include the following:
1. Considerable knowledge of inventory control and record keeping procedures.
2. Knowledge of merchandising principles and ability to plan, direct or do window and store displays.
3. Ability to assign, direct, and review the work of a small staff.
4. Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with customers, teachers, other employees, and the general public.
5. Ability to make arithmetic computations rapidly and accurately.
6. Some typing ability.
7. Ability to communicate effectively through both oral and written means.
8. Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse educational and socio-economic backgrounds.
$1,702.74-$2,109.06 Biweekly (L587)
Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. (schedule may vary during peak periods)
Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) is not just for techies. The two-year college offers about 200 degree, diploma, certificate, and...