Job Title: |
Strategy & Planning Director
New York, NY or Washington DC
Strategy and Planning Director
Summary of Position:
Reporting directly to the Vice President and Head of Government Relations for EMEA and Asia, the Strategy and Planning Director serves as a leader and planner for cross cutting issues and organizational activities involving the EMEA Asia Government Relations team. This position is responsible for the planning and implementation of EMEA and Asia government relations priorities; for managing team communications, including producing reports; for developing and managing the budget; for preparing executive briefs; and for working to achieve the performance and developmental objectives of the team in a creative, pro-active and strategic manner. This position requires excellent writing, problem-solving, and communication skills. Strong analytic and organizational skills, initiative, and an ability to foster collaboration and to work effectively with others are also essential to success in this position. The role is both tactical and strategic, presenting the opportunity to have a large impact on the EMEA and Asia Government Relations team.
· Develop and coordinate the process for EMEA / Asia Government Relations strategic planning, including issue prioritization, resource planning, and measurement of progress
-- Assist in the development of annual goals and objectives for the team and closely track progress against those goals. These goals should align to support the EMEA and Asia business priorities.
· Develop and manage a comprehensive internal communications strategy for the EMEA Asia GR team which leverages global expertise within MetLife
-- Draft agendas and schedule EMEA Asia GR leadership and staff meetings
-- Develop and manage a process for sharing timely intelligence across the organization, including the lines of business and corporate functions
· Assist EMEA and Asia GR members with coordination and preparation of meeting briefs, presentations, updates, reports and other organizational duties
-- Draft and otherwise assist with the preparation of briefs, reports, speeches and accompanying slides, announcements and other communications for various audiences, including MetLife’s Executive Group and Board of Directors
· Manage all information for the EMEA Asia GR team to promote sharing of best practices and effective issue management
-- Catalogue and coordinate the calendar of events attended and organized by EMEA and Asia team members and business partners
-- Ensure that department information is accurate and complete, most notably the information regarding meetings with government officials, association memberships, and achievements of the EMEA Asia GR team
-- Identify and promulgate best practices within the team
· Oversee the administrative functioning of the team
-- Manage the effective utilization of all administrative staff members, including temporary employees
· Manage the EMEA Asia Government Relations budget with a focus on efficiency
-- Ensure effective use of external advisors and consultants
-- Provide quarterly analysis of expenditures to Vice President
-- Track resource allocation across the team (including EMEA and Asia headcount)
· Liaise with key internal stakeholders (Communications, Risk Management, Finance, HR, etc) to keep key initiatives on target
· Part of a global team of more than 20 professionals
· Supporting businesses in more than 40 countries across Europe, the Middle East and Asia, contributing more than $1 billion in operating earnings and more than $3 billion in premiums, fees and other income in 2012
· Working across multiple time zones, so early morning and evening hours expected
· Interfacing with colleagues across the enterprise, in the lines of business as well as the corporate functions
· Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills; ability to synthesize multiple complex documents and prepare executive-level summaries.
· Demonstrated organizational and project management skills; ability to develop and implement effective processes across the global team, operating at both strategic and tactical levels.
· A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing multiple concurrent key initiatives with strict deadlines.
· Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing strategic plans and communications programs.
· Mature, professional, and energetic presence; ability to serve as a unifying force among colleagues while driving overall team results.
· Ability to operate effectively with a diverse workforce and to thrive in complex organizational structures.
· Keen business instincts and the ability to establish credibility and build relationships at all levels, both internally and externally.
· Discretion to handle sensitive and confidential information.
· Understanding of international trade and the role government and trade associations play in supporting multinational companies.
· Bachelor’s degree required
- Additional academic qualifications in related field (International Relations, Law, Political Science, Business Administration, etc) preferred
- Minimum 8 years of relevant professional experience (government, law, international business)
Minimum 8 years of relevant professional experience (government, law, international business)
Bachelor’s degree required
Number of Openings
Equal Employment Opportunity
MetLife is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
How To Apply
For immediate consideration, click on the Apply Now button below. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile which may take 15 – 20 minutes to complete. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
MetLife - 19 months ago
The breadth of careers at MetLife offers unlimited possibilities for your professional life. More than life insurance. Much more. MetLife is...