Responsible for Assisting the assigned Structural Engineer and Structural Engineering Project Manager in production of Structural Engineering project documents. Communicates and coordinates with other disciplines working on the project, ensuring project success through skillful development of project design and construction documents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervises structural engineering portions of the project in which responsibility is assigned by the Project Structural Engineer or the Structural Engineering Project Manager.
- Assists the Project Structural Engineer and the Structural Engineering Project Manager.
- Assists in the development of the Project Work Plan for review by Structural Engineering Project Manager and their Director of Structural Engineering.
- Utilizes established CTA QA/ QC checklists and assist the Project Structural Engineer and the Structural Engineering Project Manager in maintaining the Project Workbook.
- Facilitates project coordination among the Project Structural Engineer, the Structural Engineering Project Manager, and their Director of Structural Engineering.
- Monitors their time billed to projects and notifies the Project Structural Engineer and the Structural Engineering Project Manager when time charged to a project exceeds limits set with BST eResource, assuring project financial success.
- Organizes project documents in accordance with established CTA production standards and as directed by the Structural Engineering Project Manager.
- Monitors the project, determining items requiring decisions or additional investigation by others for proper execution of project documents.
- Organizes mini-set of project documents as required, reviewing with the Structural Engineering Project Manager, the director of Structural Engineering, and the CTA QA/QC division.
- Responds to shop drawing submittals during the construction phase.
- Reviews proposed construction details with the Project Structural Engineer, the Structural Engineering Project Manager, and CTA QA/ QC division, coordinating these details with other design disciplines working on the project.
- Assists the Project Structural Engineer and Structural Engineering Project Manager in the development of project specifications, coordinating these specifications with other design disciplines and the CTA QA/ QC division.
- Assists the Project Structural Engineer and the Structural Engineering Project Manager in submitting the project documents to CTA’s QA/ QC division as required and in accordance with established CTA QA/ QC checklists.
- Participates in meetings and conferences (as required by the Project Structural Engineer and the Structural Engineering Project Manager).
- Consults with the Project Structural Engineer, the Structural Engineering Project Manager, and their Director of Structural Engineering regarding issues concerning document format and production processes – maintaining compliance with the Integrated Architecture Production Manual.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
COMPETENCIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies-
QUALIFICATIONS : To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Detail oriented
- Planning, organizing and coordinating
- Excellent communications skills - Listening, understanding and responding
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Innovative thinking
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: A bachelor’s degree (BA, BS) in Engineering from an ABET accredited four-year college or university or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Must have passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE) and be actively pursuing licensure as a Professional Engineer (P.E.).
LANGUAGE SKILLS : Ability to read and interpret business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Have excellent presentation skills. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries from groups of managers, clients, vendors, governmental agencies and the general public. Ability to clearly convey to project members what is expected from all in order to complete a project.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS : Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as monetary budgets, cost estimates, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume; ability to apply these concepts to master the task of translating fee into the resource allocation of various billing rates, producing a completed set of documents which will produce a profit for the company. Ability to work with statistical and analytical concepts.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of given variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form and convey interpretations to clients, team members, managers, governmental agencies and the general public. Ability to maintain an effective working relationship with clients and fellow project personnel.
COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have a solid foundation in computer applications. A solid foundation of MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Autodesk Revit Structure, and Internet software is required. Additionally, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and SketchUP skills are desirable.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to travel 10% of the time.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.