Sargent & Lundy's Power Delivery Services business unit currently has an opportunity for a Structural Engineer in its Wilmington, Delaware office.
- This position will offer you the ability to directly apply your knowledge of materials, structural analysis, structural steel design, and reinforced concrete design. As a member of an engineering and design team, you will work on a wide range of high voltage substation and transmission projects to support client recommendations and reviews including creating calculations, document designs, and specifications. Additionally, you will be conducting structural analyses.
- Under the direction of the Structural Project Lead, you will be responsible for guiding junior-level engineers and designers in structural engineering design efforts, including providing guidance with the coordination of detailed design phases for all aspects of structural engineering work.
- You will work on challenging assignments that include investigating, trouble-shooting, and solving a wide variety of structural engineering issues.
- Using our state-of-the-art computer tools, you will perform structural analysis and design of steel frames, connections, concrete members, equipment supports, and foundations.
- Develop integrated structural designs and perform supporting calculations for the planned work.
- Prepare technical specifications for structural materials.
- Prepare engineering studies.
- Perform independent reviews of work performed by others including calculations and drawing preparation.
- Coordinate and provide guidance to other engineers, project managers, client personnel, and suppliers to ensure a complete and timely design.
- Perform reviews of existing facilities to propose upgrades and replacements, and present findings and recommendations to clients and peers.
- Develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced engineers by way of S&L’s systems of process and associated “Communities of Practice.”
- Provide guidance as a mentor in the development of less experienced engineers.
- There is the potential for you to travel to client and vendor offices for design reviews and to site locations for construction coordination and field verification of designs.
Essential skills and experience:
- This position requires a BSCE (MSCE preferred) from an ABET-accredited engineering program.
- Six or more years of working as a member of a project team environment in the design high voltage substation and transmission projects. Experience must include the selection of structural materials and the review and preparation of specifications.
- Experience in writing and providing support documentation for Structural Engineering calculations.
- Technically knowledgeable of the practical application of structural engineering including analysis for structural supports, loads, and design integrity.
- Experience with the design techniques, tools, and principles involved in the production of technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models for substation and transmission projects.
- Proficiency with any of the following programs: MathCad, STAAD PRO, SAP2000, SAFE, STRUDL, or ANSYS.
- Familiarity with design codes and standards such as IBC, ASCE 7, AISC, and ACI 318.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Construction and start-up experience a plus.
- Commissioning experience a plus.
- PE license preferred.
Sargent & Lundy LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sargent & Lundy LLC offers equal employment opportunity without regard to race, gender, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis protected by applicable Federal, State or Local Fair Employment Law. EOE-M/F/D/V
Sargent & Lundy - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
The drill for Sargent & Lundy is to deliver engineering, construction management, and consulting services to the global power industry....