The Maintenance Division of Housing and Dining Services at CU Boulder is seeking a Structural Trades I to join our team. This position exists to repair and maintain University of Colorado living areas to keep them in a clean, safe, and comfortable condition. The position will perform general, emergency and preventive maintenance of the structural aspects and equipment of the University’s buildings. We are looking for someone with strong customer service skills, attention to detail and a good attitude.
This position is situated within the Maintenance division of Housing and Dining Services at the University of Colorado Boulder. The Maintenance division exists to repair and maintain University of Colorado living areas to keep them in a clean, safe, and comfortable condition.
The Structural Trades I will be responsible for performing the following duties:
• This position insures that all exterior and interior doors function properly by repairing or adjusting door closers, panic bar hardware, locking devices, latches, hinges, doorstops, knob sets and lights.
• This position insures that buildings are secure by removing and re-glazing window and door glass, replacing or adjusting window balancers and stops, repairing or replacing window and door screens, and repairing or installing storm doors.
• This position performs maintenance in living quarters and public areas to enhance residents’ security, comfort and convenience by repairing, replacing or assembling furniture, repairing or installing drapery rods, window cranks and latches, towel bars, mirrors, closet hardware and carpet and tile areas.
• The position insures that locks function properly by replacing locks, lock cylinders, cores, strike plates and lubricating locks and extracting broken keys.
• The position provides adequate fire protection by inspection, repairing or replacing smoke alarms, smoke detectors, water and chemical fire extinguishers, evaluation instructions exit sings and sprinkler system cover; also performs routine check and record system of same.
• The position provides for proper function of kitchens by minor (replace door seal, repair broken cartwheel, lubricate, replace broken knob or handle, etc.) repairs of industrial type kitchen equipment.
• The position provides proper functioning of bathrooms by repairing or replacing stall and shower partitions, doors, and hardware and accessories, and mirrors, and making minor plumbing repairs such as cleaning out drains, replacing washers, setting toilets on an emergency basis.
• The position provides for orderly and timely maintenance by responding to emergency calls for repairs in residence halls and assisting other trade areas as needed and working on steam and/or hydraulic heating and cooling systems.
This is a second shift position working 4 ten hour days from 2:00 PM to 12:30 AM. This position also must be flexible to work any shift at the discretion of management.
This position is an “Essential Services” Position. The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Salary and Benefits:
Monthly Salary: $2,877-$3,020 per month
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition reimbursement and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment, learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting human resources at email@example.com or (303) 492-6475.
Application materials will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed from and employed to, and hours per week worked. (Minimum experience requirements are calculated on a full time 40 hour a week equivalent.) Resumes will not be accepted in place of the official Classified Staff Online Application. If it is determined that you meet the required qualifications, your application materials will be used to identify a top group of the most highly qualified candidates. Please, specifically address the qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications on your application. There may be questions at the end of this application related to these qualifications and competencies, your answers to these questions will be verified against your application materials and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process.
If your application is rejected, you will be notified. Contact the HR Consultant within five days of notice to discuss the rejection. If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the comparative analysis process, including conduct or content of an examination, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice of elimination from consideration or knowledge of the action you are challenging. Scores and ranks are NOT appealable. Please see the information about your appeal rights and forms at the following link: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/ DPA - SPB / SPB /1232721347216
Veterans: Qualified veterans and surviving spouses are eligible for veteran’s preference. If you were honorably discharged and served during one of the periods for which the federal government awards veteran’s preference, please attach your DD214 to this posting.
Appointment to this vacancy, or vacancies, represented by this announcement is (are) expected to be from the eligible list created. However, there is a possibility that the appointment(s) may be filled by another method of appointment due to valid articulated business reasons.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
Must be a current Colorado resident in order to apply.
• Two years of progressively responsible experience in the structural trades. This experience can be related to: plumbing, electrical work, HVAC , doors & locks, and/or general building maintenance.
Necessary Special Qualification: Must pass a criminal and motor vehicle background check
Required Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and abilities
• Interpersonal skills
• Oral and written communication skills
• Customer Service skills
• Attention to Detail
• Problem Solving
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
• Additional experience with the maintenance and repair of any of the following: plumbing, electrical systems, doors & locks, and HVAC systems
Special instructions to applicants
HOW TO APPLY : Please submit an online application by 12/30/2013*
If you have difficulties submitting application information, please contact the jobsatcu help desk at: 1-855-216-7740 option 5
Job posting contact
Job posting contact telephone
Job posting contact email
Job Posting Number
Quicklink for Posting