United States-Florida-Lake City
Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of the world's largest design firm with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter to join our Lake City, FL staff as a Structures CAD Designer. Under general supervision, provides a high degree of sophistication and expertise in the performance of varied and computer-assisted drafting and design work to support the Florida Department of Transportation District Two Structures Design Office through its General Engineering Consultant contract. Performs independent design work on MICROSTATION in accordance with FDOT’s Plans Preparation Manual and Structures Manual. Performs varied and computer-aided drafting and independent design work. Incumbents at this level regularly exercise judgment and exhibit a high degree of sophistication and expertise both in design work and equipment knowledge and utilization.
Typical duties and responsibilities of this position are:
- Uses MICROSTATION to enter the required data, such as precise measurements and commands, in order to generate designs, construction drawings, renderings, report graphics or other digital images.
- Develops, organizes and prepares a variety of layouts, drawings and designs from written or verbal specifications, or from rough or detailed sketches and/or drawings made by technical professionals, converting paper documents into computerized files.
- Develops and maintains standards and symbols to meet specialized needs of a particular project or to facilitate or improve MICROSTATION utilization. Develops, writes and distributes procedures to other MICROSTATION users inside and outside own department.
- Produces various design options on the screen or on hard copy. May include technical professionals' verbal instructions or ideas to assist in resolving a design concept not yet completely defined.
- Uses MICROSTATION to design, redesign, modify or otherwise edit existing design.
- Performs mathematical calculations necessary to complete simple and complex design tasks.
- Checks final design on screen to verify completeness, clarity, and accuracy of drawing.
- Performs other such duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
The appropriately qualified candidate will have the following core competencies and required experience:
High School Degree required, college degree strongly desired.
MICROSTATION training required.
Generally requires minimum eight years of related experience in a combination of technician and/or CAD technician or designer positions, with a concentration in Structures Detailing & CAD.
May also require experience in the particular discipline supported.
Excellent technical judgment and interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and to give work direction to others.
Expertise in MICROSTATION production technologies required.
General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
Job requires ability to process paper and electronic documents and operate computer equipment; ability to perform mathematical calculations, follow specifications, interpret and convert data into computerized designs, and provide training and instruction to others.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Atkins is one of the world's leading engineering, design and project management consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to...