Are you committed to supporting students in a post secondary setting? The Office of Student Access and Wellness fosters equal opportunities to student success through accessible educational programs, disability-related advocacy, faculty and staff education, and an enhanced awareness of individual abilities and contributions.
Reporting to the Student Access and Wellness Manager, the Student Access and Wellness Intern is a part-time internship located in San Diego, CA. The Student Access and Wellness intern will have regular interaction with Ashford University and University of the Rockies students and all internal departments for Bridgepoint Education and its subsidiaries.
Essential Job Duties:
• Support the Access and Wellness team in monitoring and coordinating services and accommodations for students with disabilities;
• Articulate the needs of students with disabilities and empower students with disabilities in order to coordinate accommodations and services that enable full participation in educational programs;
• Answer student inquiries regarding student disability accommodation process.
Additional Job Duties (include but are not limited to):
• Monitor student records and documentation;
• Serve as a consultant to faculty and staff on disability accommodation issues;
• Collaborate in the development of programming to engage students with disabilities in order to positively impact community development and retention.
• Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
• Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
• Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
• Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
• Possess an understanding of issues relevant to persons with disabilities and post secondary disability services in order to develop and support services for students with disabilities.
• Follow policy and procedures for providing appropriate disability accommodations in accordance with federal, state and local laws.
• Possess a working knowledge of current best practices in disability support services and wellness support at the post-secondary level.
• Working knowledge of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended in 2008 and other appropriate laws pertaining to higher education and disabilities.
• Collaborative, problem-solving, planning and organizational skills.
• Strong oral, written, presentation and interpersonal communication skills.
• Earned Master’s degree or current enrollment in Master’s level program in related field such as Special Education, Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, or Student Affairs.
For additional information about our University, please visit www.ashford.edu.
Physical Requirements :
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually moderate to loud .
Note : This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history, professional reference checks and public social media postings; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended. As an employer, we participate in E-Verify. To learn
more please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Notice to Prospective Employees
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security
Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the “Clery Act”), prospective employees
are entitled to request and receive a copy of Ashford University Annual
Campus Security Report. The Report can be accessed a t 2011 AU Campus and Safety Report . The report includes certain campus safety policies and statistics
on reportable crimes and incidents that occurred on campus, in certain
off-campus buildings, and on public property immediately adjacent to campus or
accessible from campus for three previous years. The policies include
campus security policies, crime prevention, and alcohol and drug use, and
sexual assault, among others. To obtain a paper copy of the report,
please contact HumanResources@bpiedu.com .
Wait, there’s more… For more up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @AshfordUCareers
Ashford University - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...