The principal task of the Student Advisor is to help students and families make the best use of available opportunities and resources to fully develop each student's individual potential.
Functions & Responsibilities:
Identify reasons why assigned students are not successful in school or exhibit undesirable behavior.
Work with families and students in alleviating adverse conditions to promote resiliency and academic success for at risk students.
Assist parents in utilizing school and community resources to maximize their student's educational abilities.
Involve parents in the school to create positive academic and social outcomes for students.
Listen to and respect the feelings and sensitivities of students and parents of all cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
Help students overcome the social and emotional problems interfering with adjustment and achievement in school.
Provide/coordinate special education related services for students with physical, mental, social, emotional and other educational disabilities.
Increase educational attainment and enhance the educational experience for students and their families by assuring equal opportunity.
This position will be required to meet or exceed specific student attendance rates.
Any other duties required
- Personal computer, typewriter, printer, calculator, copier, fax machine, and various projectors.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Maintain emotional control under stress; work with frequent interruptions.
- Repetitive hand motions; prolonged use of computer.
- Degree in Social Work or related discipline preferred
- Knowledge of counseling procedures, student appraisal and career development
- Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior through counseling skills.
- An understanding of psychosocial development of children and their influences of family, community and cultural differences as they interact with the educational process
Work Schedule Requirements:
- Case management experience required
- Experience working with high school students in an educational setting preferred
- Be on call 24 hours a day for students
- Be able to work nights and weekends as necessary, in addition to a normal assigned schedule, in order to do student home visits and complete the necessary job requirements.