There is a community that exists inside our organization. Working as a team at Bridgepoint Education, we build partnerships while providing opportunities for students and employees to grow and become their best. We nurture our employees and strive to promote from within.
Bridgepoint Education’s vision is to provide high-quality, accessible and affordable degree programs that meet the diverse educational needs of individuals pursuing informed personal goals and success in their professions and communities.
Bridgepoint Education was founded on the principle that education improves lives. Bridgepoint Education employees witness such change every day. Bridgepoint Education is doing well by doing well, and we value the opportunity we've been given.
The Student Grievance Resolution Intern position is a part-time employment opportunity. The Student Grievance Resolution Intern individually investigates student complaints, diffuses conflict and provides office support related to the formal student grievance process. Located in San Diego, California, the Student Grievance Resolution Intern reports to the Manager of Student Grievance Resolution.
Essential Job Duties:
I. Grievance Investigations 40%
A. Investigate complaints filed by students and relating to students; independently identify the relevant issues and conduct thorough and impartial investigations; interview the involved parties including students and faculty/staff members; collect and produce appropriate documentation; using independent judgment to ensure that all elements of the external complaint or student grievances are thoroughly identified and addressed in the reply.
B. Daily exercise individual judgment and use experience to evaluate the facts in light of BPI policy, University policy and legal principles.
C. Exercise individual judgment to make reasonable conclusions and recommendations for the resolution of the complaint.
D. Exercise individual judgment to independently resolve certain formal grievances.
E. Exercise discretion and tact while interacting by telephone with students, faculty, staff and administrators involved in the formal grievance process; electronically document telephone conversations while on the phone; use dispute resolution techniques to calm and deescalate upset callers; use diplomacy and tact to diffuse conflict.
F. Independently draft legal correspondence and settlement agreements and maintain paper and e-files and document information using specialized databases.
II. Case Management and Dispute Resolution 25%
A. Daily exercise individual judgment and use experience to evaluate the facts in light of BPI policy, University policy and legal principles.
B. Participate in the Peer Review Process for all outgoing official correspondence, using independent judgment to ensure that all elements of the external complaint or student grievances are thoroughly identified and addressed in the reply.
C. Daily exercise individual judgment to take appropriate actions to address time-sensitive issues.
D. Safeguard student information and be mindful of confidentiality.
III. Data Collection and Management 25%
A. Help ensure the accuracy of specialized reports/presentations and tailored data for specific requests on an ongoing basis. Make recommendations to the organization relating to recurring issues and student complaints.
B. Ensure accurate maintenance of data in the office's e-files and databases on a daily basis.
IV. Other Duties 10%
Other duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
- Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
- Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
- Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
Looking for additional insight on this specific role? Not sure if the job is for you, but know someone who sounds like a perfect fit? Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and someone with the inside track would be more than happy to be a resource for you!
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to effectively manage own time in order to meet departmental deadlines; strong organization skills sufficient to prioritize and complete work independently and to adapt to evolving priorities and goals while balancing competing needs and attending to detail.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills with the ability to write clear, concise, analytical and accurate correspondence, grievance responses and other documents.
- Familiarity with compliance issues and working knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations relating to student rights and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated strong research, critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills to identify issues, define problems, identify alternatives and consequences and propose solutions in relation to student grievances.
- Developed skill working as a member of a team with a willingness to support the overall success of the team.
- Possess good judgment and discretion when interacting with internal and external constituencies.
- Travels between Bridgepoint’s various locations in San Diego
- Valid Driver’s License and proof auto insurance
- Demonstrated experience conducting workplace investigations, preferably in higher education
- Experience and/or training in resolving conflicts between individuals and groups
- Minimum of one to three years of related experience
- Strong communication, conflict resolution, consensus building and problem solving skills
- Prior experience in higher education
- Demonstrated excellent writing skills with the ability to use the rules of Standard English grammar.
- Demonstrated intermediate to advanced proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher).
Note: This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history and a professional reference check; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended.
- Bachelor's degree is required, majors in Liberal Arts preferred. Current enrollment (in good standing) at an ABA accredited law school is required.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually quiet to moderate.
Bridgepoint has built its corporate culture around its core values; ethics, integrity, service and accountability. Ethics is a central part of employee training and is reinforced on a daily basis. Integrity in the way we treat both internal and external constituents is paramount to Bridgepoint Education's success. Service at the highest level is expected and recognized. Last, accountability toward one's co-workers, students and role within the organization has allowed Bridgepoint Education to cultivate a high-quality management team.
By providing both online and campus-based programs at Ashford University and University of the Rockies, Bridgepoint Education offers access to both traditional and adult learners seeking high quality, convenient higher education degree programs.
We offer our team competitive benefits (M/V/D/401k/ESPP) and salaries, a safe work environment, innovative training, accelerated career advancement, the ability to take classes and programs gratis, and a collegiate and collaborative environment to work and grow in.
Bridgepoint Education understands that our success depending on the development of strong leadership within the organization.
To be considered an applicant, all interested and qualified parties must apply through the Bridgepoint Education online employment application system.
Bridgepoint Education is an Affirmative Action employer that provides Equal Employment Opportunity to all employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, handicap or disability, or Vietnam-era or special veteran status. This policy is established and administered in accordance with all applicable federal and state laws.
Wait, there’s more… For more cool up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @BPEdCareers and @AshfordUCareers
Bridgepoint Education - 24 months ago
Bridgepoint thrives on an ethos of invention. We are innovators and educators who make learning more accessible, valuable, and meaningful...