As part of an initiative designed to support the success of students during their first two years, Wheelock College implemented a shared advising model designed to foster student success. Students will explore their goals and work with a Student Success Specialist on the creation and implementation of a success plan. The person in this position will, in collaboration with other Student Success Specialists, employ a holistic and comprehensive approach to assist students in maximizing their educational experience. Focusing on transfer populations, this person will advise all incoming transfer students regarding meaningful educational plans, academic policies, degree requirements, satisfactory academic progress, and possible applications of academic coursework to majors, careers, and other student interests. Working intensively one-on-one with students and in small groups, Student Success Specialists are expected to provide support on college transition issues and community engagement, as well as help students access and utilize academic and non-academic resources.
• Using a developmental philosophy and holistic approach, build relationships with assigned advisees (case load of 80-100; mostly transfer and some first-year students), assist with their transition to Wheelock and engagement as new students, and help them to integrate their abilities and goals with appropriate academic paths and career choices in subsequent semesters.
• Collaborate with the Transfer Admissions Coordinator, Registrar’s Office, and academic department chairs to review transcripts during evaluation of transfer credits and provide guidance on the applicability of academic credit to program requirements.
• Collaborate with community members to strengthen the referral process and student use of campus resources in areas including Career Services, Field Experience, Academic Assistance, Disability Services, and the Counseling Center.
• Provide academic counseling and skill development in study skills, time management, decision-making and self-advocacy.
• Assist the Office of Student Success in creating opportunities for faculty and students to engage in meaningful activities that support the teaching and learning process. Design transition activities and processes as students move to faculty advisors.
• Advise students about degree requirements, course selection, and academic policies, field experiences and other academic opportunities.
• Maintain student records and monitor academic progress and performance of advisees.
• Participate in the preparation and presentation of a range of activities, including programs, workshops and materials, designed to improve students’ academic and co-curricular engagement.
• Plan and implement annual Transfer Advising Day. Assist with and participate in all orientation, advising, Major Exploration and registration events.
• Keep detailed notes of advising sessions and prepare reports, including statistical summaries, of advising contacts.
• Master’s degree in college student development, higher education administration, counseling, or a related field required.
• At least one year (within the last 5 years) of working in a professional capacity in higher education, preferably in advising. An internship can substitute for one year of work.
• Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience working with transfer student populations.
• Strong interpersonal, problem solving, decision making, oral and written communication skills; ability to manage multiple tasks at once, organized and detail oriented.
• Proven ability and interest in working collaboratively with a variety of diverse constituents including students, parents, faculty, and administrators.
• Familiarity and expertise with information technology, including administrative software systems and Microsoft Office. Specific database and registration programs utilized at Wheelock include TutorTrac and Jenzabar.
Note: This description focuses on the major duties of this position. It is neither designed nor intended to include all duties inherent in the satisfactory performance of this position.
Commitment to Diversity
Wheelock is a diverse community devoted to promoting and acceptance of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, or physical ability. Each employee, regardless of position, is thus expected to support actively the College's commitment to such diversity by displaying a positive attitude toward and acceptance of all employees and students regardless of such differences.
Wheelock College is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer
Wheelock College - 18 months ago