You will serve as a Digital Imaging Clerk for the National Personnel Records Center located in Valmeyer, IL.
The Valmeyer Annex is located in a retrofitted limestone cave in Monroe County , Illinois . The approximately 400,000 square foot building has a total storage capacity of nearly two million cubic feet of records. The building will primarily house temporary records-mostly military medical treatment records and records for civilian Federal personnel. Ample parking is available on site.
If you are new to the Federal Government, you can make history at the National Archives. Our dedicated staff works across a variety of career fields to safeguard the records of the Federal Government - more than 10 billion of them.
Visit our Employee Gallery at www.archives.gov/careers to see the kinds of dynamic projects our staff are undertaking. If you want a career where you can see the difference your work makes, then join the National Archives!
Who May Apply: Student Program Eligibles
Student Intern Program: This position is being filled under the new Pathways - Internship Program which provide opportunities for high school, vocational and technical, undergraduate, graduate, and professional students to be exposed to the work of the Federal government.
Student Definition: Students must be accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc,) in a qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which you are enrolled) throughout the duration of the appointment, including awardees of the Harry S. Truman Foundation Scholarship Program under Public Law 93-842.
Position Duration/Expectation: Positions will be temporary not-to-exceed 1 year. May be extended in 1 year increments based on continued need/funds for the position and the student's continued compliance in the Intern Program.
Must be at least 16 Years of Age
Background Investigation or Security Clearance
Relocation Expenses Will Not Be Paid
More jobs may be filled if additional vacancies occur within 90 days
Must meet eligibility requirements for student intern program.
As a Student Trainee:
- Incumbent serves as a Digital Imaging Clerk at the National Personnel Records Center. Duties include the following -
- Provide document completion, quality assurance, review for accuracy of document identification and perform document preparation on automated medadata extractions of digitally converted electronic files.
- Performs document preparation on textual materials to be digitally scanned into electronic formats. Removes staples, flattens, corrects bent corners of document, disassembles materials when necesary insruing that the original arrangement and scanning scheme is maintained. Prepares required bar code/separator sheets, and makes photocopies of document(s) to be scanned.
- Performs digital scanning on various media including: original, loose, textual records, bound volumes varying in size from ledger or smaller to larger oversize volumes, drawings, maps, charts, microform, and printed material operating a high-speed digital scanning device, as well as a low speed flatbed digital scanning device. Performs ongoing checks to verify that image quality is at an acceptable level.
- Performs reviews of documents that are digitally scanned into electronic formats. This involves classifying and identifying form numbers and types using established form lists and basic software programs.
- Identifies and locates data fields and enters data values, i.e., SSN, names, dates, etc. from digitally converted electronic files. Using computer software reviews and verifies that document completion and quality assurance steps were performed accurately and completely by the automated extraction process. Cleans and maintains work areas, and ensures that supplies are on hand to perform these duties.
You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. Do not overstate or understate your level of experience and demonstrated capability. You should be aware that your ratings are subject to evaluation and verification based on the resume and other relevant documents you submit, as well as through verification of reference as appropriate. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your stated level of experience and demonstrated capability. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position following acceptance.
Basic Qualifications: You must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) in a qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which the student is enrolled).
For GS-3: Six months of general experience in progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled or completion of high school graduation or equivalent.
Please refer to the Office of Personnel Managements, Operating Manual: Qualifications Standards for General Schedule Positions for further information http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/group-stds/gs-cler.asp
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once you complete and submit your application package, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements for the job. Qualified students will be referred to the hiring manager in unranked order by veteran preference status: (1) Preference eligibles having a compensable, service-connected disability of 10 percent or more; (2) all other candidates eligible for 10-point veteran preference; (3) candidates eligible for 5-point veteran preference; and (4) candidates not eligible for veteran preference.
NOTE: If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or responses are not supported by your resume or transcript, your eligibility will be adjusted. Please follow all instructions carefully.
Student Interns are eligible to earn annual and sick leave. For more information visit the following websites: http://www.opm.gov/retire/retire_jobseekers.asp or http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc .
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Qualifications by Closing Date: You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. Please note that qualification claims will be subject to verification.
Schedules: Part Time Work schedule, days and times may vary.
Participant Agreement: All students must complete a written Participant Agreement with National Archives that clearly identifies expectations of the appointment such as duties, work schedule, length of appointment, etc.
Veterans' Preference: If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty or other proof of eligibility ( The member 4 copy of your DD-214, or other copies that indicate character of discharge is preferable ). If you are claiming 10-point veterans preference, you must also submit an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veterans Preference plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see Veterans Information Page, USAJOBS - Veterans .