Responsible for the overall Design and Engineering of substations, which require application of engineering principles and knowledge of substation design from concept phase through final construction drawings and project completion.
• Performs Electrical Engineering work with the project team using a sound working knowledge of utility substation designs and standards
• Provides Electrical Design for projects such as: Breaker Additions/Upgrades, Transformer Replacements, RTU Installations, and Metering
• Provides Physical Design for projects such as: Bus Additions, new Equipment Installations, Above and Below-Grade Layouts
• Apply engineering application software to complete engineering tasks such as ground grid design, lightning protection, and area lighting with minimal supervision
• Review project schedules and work with project engineer to insure projects remain on schedule
• Prepares Material Lists
• Prepares Final Construction Sets
• Confers with project engineer, utility personnel, manufacturers' representatives and others as required when carrying out above work.
• Prepares technical specifications
• Reviews and evaluates drawings
• Performs site visits to gain hands-on knowledge and additional training in substation construction and design for documentation as required by clients
• Mentors Electrical Designers and Electrical CAD Technicians
• Applies engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
• Prepares Engineering Reports.
• Completes complex and specialty types of design
• Travels out of town for short periods of time as required by projects and assignments
• Possess skills in the following areas:
· Develop the layout of high voltage electrical substations
· Develop Electrical Plan, Section and Detail drawings
· Develop Conduit Plan and Detail drawings. Perform conduit fill calculations
· Develop Grounding Plan and Detail drawings. Perform grounding calculations
· Lightning Protection design utilizing Rolling Sphere methodology
· Creation of bills of material for all aspects of outdoor physical design
· Knowledge and understanding of three phase power systems
· Knowledge and understanding of substation components and their functions
· Knowledge of design documents and drawings necessary to complete a project
· Knowledge of engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
· Knowledge of common word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail software
· Working in a team environment
· Communicating effectively with co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.
EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION GUIDELINES:
BSEE Degree in with a minimum of 2 years of experience. Engineer in Training (EIT) desirable. Preferred licensed professional engineer. Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Microstation, Microsoft Office programs and working knowledge of applicable codes.
Dashiell specializes in designing, building, testing, and maintaining high and medium voltage electrical systems for utilities, power...