Substation Maintenance Engineer-24627
This Engineer will work closely with Substation Construction, Operations & Maintenance (CO & M) personnel to provide engineering support for the maintenance activities of the organization. This position will perform failure and preventative analysis for substation equipment and perform engineering work on small projects to repair, replace and enhance substation equipment. Duties will require frequent travel to field locations.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of one year experience in electrical engineering. Previous experience in the Substation Maintenance Engineering (Substation Field Engineering) department is preferred.
This position is written for an Engineer I position in the Xcel Energy Engineering hierarchy. The complexity and types of projects that the successful candidate will be responsible for will be consistent with their experience. The successful candidate will be placed in the hierarchy based on their qualifications.
This is the entry level for professional engineering work. Performs assignments designed to develop professional work knowledge and abilities, requiring application of standard techniques, system analysis, procedures, and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering tasks. Tasks may include production of comprehensive system (transmission) plans, or distribution designs. Limited exercise of judgment is required on details or work and in making preliminary selections and adaptation of engineering alternatives. May partner with Manager, Principal or Senior Planners on assignments or in representing the company in regulatory matters. Must apply basic business acumen to maximize asset utilization. May serve as a technical resource for business units as needed.
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
- Using prescribed methods, performs specific and limited portions of a broader assignment of an experienced engineer. Applies standard practices and techniques in specific situations, adjusts and correlates data, recognizes discrepancies in results, and follows operations through a series of related detailed steps or processes.
- Performs routine tasks designed to provide experience and familiarization with engineering staff, methods, practices and programs of Xcel Energy. Assists with planning and design projects, provide technical support and guidance for design, construction and operations. Work with Supervisor on assignments with unusual or difficult problems.. Receives close supervision on new aspects of assignments.
- Prepares schedules and estimates for specific projects, may analyze reliability, system deficiencies. May be involved with area teams to determine opportunities and set action plans. Participates in planning, engineering and operational study teams or committees.
- Determines cost effective solutions. Prepares written recommendations
- Stay abreast of new technologies and current industry practice.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (equivalency to an ABET accredited degree would be recognized by ABET as having "substantial equivalency" or through a "mutual recognized agreement")
Primary Location: MN-Maple Grove
- Passed the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering Exam) or possess EIT (Engineer-in-Training) certificate
- Membership in Professional Society (Associate Grade) and/or Technical Societies (Associate Grade)
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity to 3.4...