We are seeking an active and engaging Substitute ESL Instructor who loves to teach and doesn’t stop thinking about the job when class ends. If you are patient, compassionate and genuinely care about your students, then come work for the industry leader in English language course instruction! If you have the drive and talent to advance in our company, you can move into a Senior Instructor, Academic Director or Center Director position. In this key role as an ESL Instructor, you will teach classes that include all four language skills to ESL students.
ELS Language Centers, located on the campus of the Marquette University, seeks a qualified Substitute English language instructor. You should be available to teach with little advance notice as you would be filling in for sick or otherwise absent instructors. While there is no guarantee of additional work offers, it is possible that you may become eligible for a regular, part-time teaching position if you have distinguished yourself as a competent and reliable substitute teacher and there is an opening. Openings are entirely dependent on student enrollment and teacher seniority.
As a Substitute ESL Instructor for ELS, you will assess students throughout four-week sessions, create midterms, finals and write up grade reports. You will deliver the curriculum in interactive ways to the students while remaining culturally sensitive. Additional responsibilities include:
- Teaching students the 4 language skills of structure, speaking, reading and writing
- Actively engaging students by running a dynamic and student-centered classroom
- Conducting placement testing and assessment at the beginning of every session
- Attending professional development meetings with the academic director, supervisor and other teachers
- Working with fellow instructors on lesson plans
As a Substitute ESL Instructor for ELS, you must have a desire to work with students and have positive interactions with them. You must bring energy and fresh ideas to the classroom while making an impact on the students that will last for the rest of their lives. Additional requirements include:
If you have never taught English as a Second Language, please do not apply. This is NOT a Marquette University teaching position. It is a substitute teaching position for ELS Language Centers, a private company located on the campus of the Marquette University.
- BA /BS required, MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience teaching ESL
- Strong presentation, communication and writing skills
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to move from building to building between classes and across college campuses