Substitute Teacher Assistant
LACOE Benchmark Classification:
Assistant Teacher I
Early Childhood Education/Direct Support Services
Teacher I/Teacher II
Provides Direction to:
School Sites; San Gabriel Valley, South bay, and Los Angeles Area
Non-exempt, 9.5, 10 and 10.5 month positions
Assists teachers in the care and instruction of pre-school children and promotes their social, physical and mental development. Provides supervision of children and supports the planning and implementation of classroom lessons and activities. Serves meals and ensures healthy and safe learning environment for children.
Under supervision, assists teachers and program staff in planning and implementing classroom lessons, conducting meetings and conferences with parents, coordinating activities and events for children and parents, interacting with the public and providing customer service by phone, email and in person, and preparing correspondence, reports, records and other paperwork required by the early childhood education program.
Essential duties of the position include:
· Share teaching responsibilities with a Teacher I or II
· Supervise children while at the site
· Conduct safety checks and ensure a safe learning environment
· Prepare snacks and meals for children
· Clean and sanitize food areas
· Help children practice good hygiene, including personal cleanliness and diapering, as needed
· Assist in planning lessons and activities for children
· Assist in learning and developmental assessments of children
· Serve as an interpreter for parents who do not speak English, when possible
· Assist in conducting teacher-parent conferences
· Maintain records of attendance, achievement and other required paperwork, both manual and digital
· Organize and maintain instructional and program supplies
· Set up classrooms for various purposes and take down classrooms at shared sites
The position requires a responsible adult who likes working with children and a team player with a positive attitude and good organizational, time management and communication skills. Basic computer skills desirable.
Minimum of 1 year working experience with pre-school children, preferably in a Head Start program. Must be at least 18 years old. Must show proof of Department of Justice clearance to work with children prior to the start of employment . Life scan must be associated with California Community Care Licensing.
· 12 ECE units
· CPR/1 st Aid Certificate
· Valid California Driver’s License and proof of auto insurance
· Proof of Department of Justice clearance to work with children prior to the start of employment
The working conditions and physical demands of this position will be those that must be met to successfully perform the essential duties of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties. The physical environment the incumbent will work in is typically an office environment with moderate noise levels that would be expected in that type of work environment. Outdoor supervision of playgrounds for short periods occurs regularly.
· T.B. Test within the past six months prior to employment
· Must pass a physical examination at the time of hire
· Representative physical demands of the job include: normal vision and hearing, standing for extended periods, sitting for extended periods, kneeling and stooping, manipulating objects with hands, reaching overhead, and occasionally lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 35 pounds
Compensation: $10.96 per hour
PACE is a private not-for-profit corporation that provides employment, small business assistance, and education, housing and other community services in the Los Angeles City and County areas. PACE is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. PACE does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities.
The Pacific Asian Consortium in Employment is a nonprofit organization committed to expanding opportunity for the people of California. We...