KIPP Austin is seeking elementary, middle, and high school substitute teachers. Substitute applications are processed on an as-needed basis. Please expect up to a month delay for receiving follow-up for a Substitute Teacher application.
Successful KIPP Austin Public Schools’ Substitute Teachers partner with the classroom teacher to ensure that every KIPP Austin student achieves the academic skills, intellectual habits and character traits necessary to succeed in the nation’s top colleges and universities. A Substitute Teacher’s instructional success is evidenced by executing the lesson provided and facilitating student mastery of the lesson’s objectives. Substitute Teachers will also consistently reinforce the importance of character building by helping students to exhibit strong decision-making capabilities, personal responsibility and healthy interpersonal relationships. KIPP Austin Public Schools’ Substitute Teachers request feedback from colleagues, principals and staff to continuously hone their teaching skills. Ideal Substitute Teachers will also seek to be part of the community, embrace the culture displayed at KIPP Austin, and engage in the organization’s mission. These duties provide excellent training, preparation and practice for teaching at KIPP Austin.
Available work for Substitute Teachers will fluctuate based on the schools’ needs. The strongest Substitute Teachers will likely be called first and may therefore receive more frequent requests to serve at KIPP Austin middle schools. Successful Substitute Teachers are encouraged to apply for positions that will be available in the 2013-14 academic year.
· Execute academically rigorous lessons; following rubrics and administering assessments
· Develop an awareness of individual student’s progress and learning needs; relentless focus on helping students achieve educational greatness
· Willing to offer support to and receive constructive feedback from teachers and administration in order to create a professional working atmosphere that is conducive to change and improvement
· Help shape and develop a school-wide atmosphere that best suits the needs of our students, teachers, and families
· Communicate students’ progress toward realizing academic and character development goals with the teachers for whom the Substitute Teacher is covering within a day of completing his/her assignment
· At least 60 hours towards a Bachelor’s degree (required)
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
· Experience and success with historically underachieving populations of students
o Strong record of helping students achieve academic success, primarily with minority and low-income students
o At least 1 year of relevant experience preferred (this may include but is not limited to coaching, student teaching, and teaching)
· Alignment with KIPP Austin’s instructional approach, KIPP’s 5 pillars, and our college focus
o Ability to teach academically intense lessons and commitment to an extended school day
o Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy that every minute of every day is learning time by executing engaging lessons
o Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, resourceful, and willing to do whatever it takes to help our students reach a level of academic excellence
· Alignment with KIPP Austin’s values: Community, Honor, Quality, Tenacity, and Courage
o Model positive and healthy character traits and habits, such as being organized, consistent and understanding
o Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the KIPP Austin Public Schools’ mission and community
· Critical Thinking
o Possess an ability to break down complex information into comprehensive parts, ask questions, synthesize and analyze
· Growth Mindset
o Willing to continue to develop and hone pedagogical strategies and classroom management techniques in order to create enriching learning atmospheres
o Demonstrate a commitment to continue professional development individually, as well as to continuously strive to enhance the level of instruction at the school in general
· Classroom Management
o Implement classroom management practices that are consistent with the culture of the school
· Strong Communication Skills
o Excellent organizational, communication and facilitation skills
· Entrepreneurial Spirit
o Possess an entrepreneurial spirit, be flexible, willing and able to play different roles at the school, and to go above and beyond to meet the varied and constant needs of the students of KIPP Austin
Compensation: Daily rate is $90 for at least 60 hours toward a bachelor’s degree, $100 for a bachelor’s degree, and $120 for Texas certification.
KIPP Austin - 18 months ago