Jumpstart is a national early education organization that recruits and trains college students and community volunteers to work with preschool children in low-income neighborhoods. Through a proven curriculum, these children develop the language and literacy skills they need to be ready for school, setting them on a path to close the achievement gap before it is too late. Join us to work toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. Learn more at www.jstart.org .
The internship will be comprised of three different segments to give the intern an overall picture of how programs work at Jumpstart. The first is supporting research projects to support Jumpstarts strategic and growth planning in select communities in New York City, New Jersey and Connecticut. The intern will compile and create a portfolio of information about the selected communities which will focus on demographic information, higher education institutions, early learning organizations, potential funding sources and overall need. The second project will focus on community engagement resources and planning. Jumpstart is able to expand its impact in our communities by leveraging the time and skills of outside volunteers to further the Jumpstart mission. This project will focus on strengthening resources for the field and supporting the development of several community and event work plans. The third project will include the development of an organizational understanding through administrative support of the regional team. This position will give a student an opportunity to gain a wealth of knowledge in working with a dynamic, fast paced non-profit organization. The experience gained through this internship will be extremely valuable and prepare students for post graduate opportunities.
Strategic Planning Research
· Research demographic and community information about potential growth communities
· Create community profiles on selected communities to share with the regional team
· Outreach to local organizations to expand understanding of community resources and needs
· Research development opportunities within the tri-state region
Community Engagement Planning and Organization
· Research current needs in the field for community engagement
· Design and write content for field staff
· Begin planning for fall community events, including Jumpstarts Read for the Record.
Organization Understanding and Support
· Participate in weekly staff meetings and weekly regional program team meetings.
· Participate in a weekly one-on-one meeting with supervisor to present updates and evaluate progress on on-going projects and set-goals for the upcoming week.
· Support projects related to staff development, organization of community event resources and updating branding of regional documents and communications.
· Completion of at least one year of undergraduate study.
· Highly organized with strong attention to detail
· Ability to manage multiple projects
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Familiar and comfortable with MS Office
· Must work well on a team and on ones own
· Flexible in a dynamic environment; experience working in an office environment is a plus
· This internship is most appropriate for someone energetic, enthusiastic, and interested in learning within a fast-paced, fast-growing organization; an interest in working in the education sector is preferred
· Commitment to Jumpstart's values of learning, determination, connection, joy and kindness
New York, New York
Internship to run from June 1 st to August 15 th working 20-25 hours/ week (can be divided over 3, 4 or 5 days of the work week.)
This is an unpaid summer internship; intern may be eligible for course credit with university department approval.
To Apply :
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com , ATTN: Brittany Baron, Associate Program Director.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities. Please visit our website at www.jstart.org .
Jumpstart - 16 months ago