Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation, New York City’s leading provider of after-school and summer camp programs, is seeking Academic Tutors and Summer Camp Counselors to work part-time at one of our numerous summer camps located throughout the 5 boroughs of NYC and Mt. Vernon areas.
SASF is a school and community partner towards supporting learning and education among NYC youth. Our mission is to help bridge the academic performance gap among under-achieving students and in low income neighborhoods through wholesome, skill-building activities designed to improve children’s academic performance, health and wellness, attitude towards school, self-confidence, character and values, and opportunity for lifelong employment.
We seek to engage students mind and bodies!
WHY WE NEED YOU!
The youth of today need people to build on their strengths rather than focusing on their deficits. People who appreciate their differences and backgrounds and can highlight the risks of inappropriate, unhealthy, and illegal behaviors. People who will promote positive identity formation and character development. We want to help every youth reach their potential!
SASF has provided free summer programs to New York City School children for the past 18 years. Our organization operates all of its summer programs in public schools. While the agency operates full day summer programs, most of the available positions are for our ½ day sites (morning or afternoon). Please visit our website for more information about our summer programs. programs. When applying for a summer position, it would be helpful for us to indicate which Borough(s) you would be available to travel to for summer work.
Tutors/Counselors are asked to help with academic tutoring and to assist lead instructors in preparing students to demonstrate newly acquired skills in Sports and Arts. Qualified candidates must enjoy working with children and be able to promote positive character development. Previous experience as a camp counselor and/or as a tutor is a plus, but not required. Must be able to supervise a group of children and participate in activities and trips; provide and maintain a safe working environment. College Students encouraged to apply!
Essential Job Functions:
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible
- Organize, lead, and promote the students interest and participation in the activities offered by the program
- Provide academic support, homework guidance, assistance, and supervision to students
- Greet new arrivals to the program, introducing them to other students, explaining rules, and encouraging participation
- He/she fosters an atmosphere of fun and learning and serves as a role model to youth, always conducting him/herself in the utmost professional manner and maintaining appropriate boundaries
- Promotes positive character development in all youth
Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation - 15 months ago