The purpose of the Summer Program is to provide hands on educational and learning for middle school students (who are clients in FCA’s After School Program). The goal is to keep our students engaged in cross-curriculum activities that are interesting and fun while broadening the scoop of their exposure to various educational and cultural activities. The program utilizes the Agency’s partnership with Norwalk Community College (NCC), where both the After School and Summer Programs are based.
This is a direct service internship that will give the student exposure to a social service agency, specifically working with middle school aged youth (11-14) who come from diverse backgrounds. The summer program serves approximately 24 students, many of whom are from low-income families who have little opportunities for positive activities in the community. In addition, many of the young people and their families have social service needs that are being addressed through our case management services. These may include issues related to poverty and mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, or attention deficit disorders. The student intern will assist the coordinator in developing and implementing curriculum for the summer program.
- Take the lead in planning, developing, and implementing 2-3 weeks’ worth of summer program curriculum (i.e. activities, recreation, food, sports, crafts, community service projects, field trips, etc.) that help students learn and develop life skills and character development
- Research and plan activities that are realistic to implement and within the program budget.
- Develop lesson plans that are easily followed and implemented by staff
- Prep all necessary materials and assist staff in implementing the curriculum
- Assist in organizing unit materials at the end of each week so they are easily accessed and reusable
- Develop rapport with students in the program and role model appropriate behavior
- Assist staff in providing supervision of students in the program, ensuring their physical and emotional safety while in the program
- Help chaperone off-site activities and field trips (as necessary)
- Participate in department staff meetings and supervision with Coordinator
- Other duties as assigned