Howard S. Wright is seeking qualified Superintendents for projects in Phoenix, AZ
The Superintendent has the primary responsibility for all field operations, including the coordination of subcontractors' work. Responsible for all field activities associated with the project, including supervision of all field construction work by subcontractors and self-performed work. Shares responsibility with the project manager for developing the project budget, actively participating in the preconstruction phase, and ensuring that the project is built on time, within budget, and according to company policies and procedures. Manages and mentors assistant superintendents and other field personnel. Major emphasis on Safety, client satisfaction, and quality.
Essential FunctionsProject Financial Responsibilities
• Helps the project manager review and update progress and cost reports, schedules, and requirements for completion on a regular basis.
• Actively participates in development and management of project's general conditions, construction schedule, project planning/phasing, and buyout strategy during preconstruction.
• Participates in preconstruction planning, when possible, regarding the project schedule and budget. Reviews project estimates and cost control system at the beginning of the project.
• Communicates with subcontractors and employees (along with the project manager) a consistent level of expectations and direction regarding schedules, construction methods, company policies and procedures, permits, safety/loss prevention, quality control, and other performance standards. • Participates in making scopes for subcontracts and pre-bid/post-bid meetings.
Project Start-up and Scheduling
• Thoroughly understands project specifications, the contract, and the contract's general conditions, and confirms that all materials and subcontract work comply with contract documents and quality specifications.
• Explores and advises the project team on appropriate changes in methods, materials schedules, and procedures. Ensures all materials are properly tested according to specifications and ensures that all test results are properly recorded.
Project Administration, Operations and Close-out
• Ensures that project site and company assets are secure and maintains a safe and respectful working environment at all times by implementing programs for safety, Equal Employment Opportunity, risk management, training, and quality control.
• Manages and documents employee and subcontractor problems or nonperformance (along with the project manager) through mentoring/training, disciplinary action, termination, back charges, or other appropriate actions.
• Reviews and approves all bills for materials and subcontractor requisitions. Confirms that extra charges from subcontractors/suppliers are reasonable and work is correctly executed. Coordinates with project manager for approval on extra charges.
• Facilitates weekly project progress and safety meetings with all subcontractor representatives and coordinates the upcoming week's work to be accomplished. Attends all progress meetings with the owner/architect representatives.
• Keeps owners/architects informed of progress throughout the life of the project.
• Ensures that the project closeout process is finalized to settle all financial obligations, demobilize all resources, and transition the project to the client.
• Oversees site safety, housekeeping, and developing/implementing our site specific safety plans. Provides leadership with regards to the company's "Zero Harm" initiative.
Promote Customer Relations
• Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer's expectations.
• Makes presentations to proactively seek new business opportunities through relationships.
Culture, Leadership and Employee Development
• Promotes the Creed. Communicates vision and purpose through Service, Talent, and Choices.
• Builds and stretches people and self by providing challenging assignments, achievable and motivational development plans, and ongoing actionable and candid feedback that help employees achieve career goals.
• Negotiates skillfully in tough situations with internal and external parties by winning concessions without damaging relationships and being direct and diplomatic.
• Acts in a manner of integrity that shows support for the company, its values, and the employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting or exceeding customer requirements and expectations. • Perform other related duties as needed.
Job Description - Requirements
Education, Experience and Knowledge
10 years experience in Tenant Improvements and Interior Renovation Projects. Must be experienced in working in occupied facilities. Able to manage onsite safety, organize and schedule subcontractors, understand cost. Candidate must have good client management skills and able to interact with a diverse customer base. Preference will be given to candidates with project experience in hospitality and medical projects.
• Quality Control (CQM), Site Safety Officer (EM385) experience/certifications preferred.
• LEED AP a plus.
• Demonstrates solid presentation skills and verbal/written communication skills.• Exhibits commitment to quality by evaluating project-related processes and making necessary changes, using customer input to make improvements, and meeting or exceeding internal and external customer expectations.
• Demonstrates proficiency using a personal computer (PC) and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
Balfour Beatty Construction is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in the workplace.
Balfour Beatty Construction - 20 months ago
Balfour Beatty Construction is deep in the heart of Texas -- and beyond. The company provides start-to-finish project management,...