· Oversee, manage and document all day-to-day job site activities including OSHA safety compliance.
· Direct field personnel according to the project plan and Suffolk supervisory principles.
· Communicate issues, events, performance and progress daily to the Project Manager.
· Report any problems promptly to the Project Manager to facilitate the most cost-effective solutions.
· Establish effective working relationships with clients and Suffolk team members.
· Request advice and assistance from the General Superintendent on matters pertaining to materials, sequencing, scheduling and personnel.
· Project Start-Up/Turnover Meeting
o Identify pre-mobilization activities in conjunction with the Project Executive, General Superintendent, and the Project Manager.
o Develop start-up schedule with Project Manager and send it to the Project Executive and General Superintendent for review.
o Assist in formulating and implementing construction schedules in the field.
o Establish and implement the Project Baseline Schedule based on the project contracts and subcontractor input, taking into account any elements that might impact the schedule.
o Maintain the schedule and ensure that work performed is consistent with the contract and will meet or exceed client expectations.
o Update Project Schedule monthly.
o Provide progress report with the three-week look ahead of schedule to the Project Manager and the field staff.
o Insure that all subcontractors participate in a safety pre-construction meeting prior to starting work on the project.
o Insure that all subcontractors have a full set of MSD sheets on the project, as well as their site specific safety plan and current insurance certificate or OCIP/CCIP enrollment ID.
o Review the project daily to insure that all activities are being performed in accordance with all OSHA and governing requirements and the project site specific safety plan.
· Quality Management
o Insure that all pertinent Benchmarks for the project are established and inserted the baseline schedule.
o Insure that all appropriate individuals become members of the Q-Team.
o Insure that all 1 st delivery inspections and benchmark inspections occur per the baseline schedule so as not to impact the progression of the subsequent work.
o Insure that the inspections are approved, documented and communicated to the project team.
· Sub-Contractor and Site Management throughout the Project
o Manage site pre-construction including pre-construction survey, job site utilization and staging plans.
o Mobilize the field office and maintains the job site to Suffolk standards.
o Organize documentation of the job site for easy access and review.
o Manage subcontractor performance to quality and ethical standards.
o Work with PM to identify and resolve personnel issues and construction process revisions.
o Manage all phases of the construction process including documenting and reporting site activities and progress, manage excavations and assist with Job Site Utilization Plan.
· Meeting Management
o Attend project turnover, mobilization and project coordination meetings.
o Attend/ chair safety pre-construction meetings.
o Attend/chair weekly foreman and safety meetings.
o Attend/chair monthly schedule review meetings.
o Attend/chair closeout meetings.
o Attend owner meetings.
o Attend/chair subcontractor meetings and any others necessary to monitor and manage the project.
· Administrative Management
o Complete and implement construction office checklists including emergency phone lists.
o Complete daily reports and maintains logs of key activities, files and shop drawings.
o Manage the quality and condition of all material deliveries.
o Maintain required safety reporting and all other required files to Suffolk standards.
o Insure that as-built working drawings are maintained as well as the current drawing log and revision log, communicating this to the subcontractors.
· Project Closeout
o Manage subcontractor closeout, transfer of utilities, owner training, and punch list
· Suffolk Construction’s Core Values
· Bachelor’s degree in applicable discipline and experience relative to project size/scope.
· 4 to 6 years of experience in related construction fields
· Each project has specific characteristics regarding size, complexity, sector, etc. which dictate the precise years of experience and industry knowledge necessary for success, above and beyond generic construction knowledge and experience.
· Applicable area licenses.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time; talk or hear; walk; sit. The employee is frequently required to reach with arms and/or hands; bend, kneel; stoop, crouch or crawl and climb; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 30 lbs. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time on the physical jobsite; in a construction trailer; and occasionally an office building. This position is exposed to high temperatures; cool/cold temperatures; and loud noises.
· Candidate must possess Suffolk’s core values: passion, integrity, hard work and professionalism.
· Excellent team development skills and leadership abilities.
· Strong ability to partner with the Project Manager and his staff.
· Committed to excellence.
· Self-motivated and self-confident.
· Must possess effective communication skills.
· Capable of dealing with ambiguity and tight work oversight.
· Able to constantly multi-task and handle competing priorities between Suffolk business needs and organizational issues while maintaining excellent customer relations.
· Must possess business judgment to negotiate the critical balance between budget and construction processes.
· Excellent organizational skills to manage the many details necessary for successful construction.
· Must have judgment to know when to appropriately escalate issues up the chain of command.
· Excellent management skills to effectively manage subcontractor performance to high quality.
· A strong sense of urgency and initiative, and the ability to quickly study and react to complex issues, and resolve conflict effectively in a firm but fair manner.
· Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to take action confidently and decisively.
Suffolk Construction Company
Suffolk Construction is one of the most successful privately held building contractors in the country, providing preconstruction, construction management, design-build, and general contracting services to clients in the healthcare, science and technology, education, federal government, and commercial sectors. Suffolk is based in Boston, Massachusetts and has a strong national presence with main offices throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, and West Coast. Suffolk is committed to delivering its “build smart” approach to construction management on every project. The company’s project teams provide clients comprehensive planning services, innovative solutions and technologies, and proven processes, such as Building Information Modeling ( BIM), to deliver the most complex building construction projects on schedule and on budget, with minimal risk. Suffolk is a community-conscious organization dedicated to environmentally friendly and sustainable business practices, and is committed to making a positive impact in its local communities through grassroots volunteer work, employee fundraising, and corporate giving. For more information, visit www.suffolkconstruction.com and/or follow Suffolk Northeast on Facebook .
Suffolk Construction is an Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer.
Suffolk Construction Company provides construction services from top to bottom. The company kicks off the building process with...