The Clinical Laboratory at San Francisco General Hospital provides laboratory testing services for inpatients and outpatients of SFGH, Laguna Honda Hospital, District Health Centers and other facilities under the auspices of the SF Public Health Department. S/he will supervise Clinical Laboratory Scientists and Clinical Laboratory Scientist Specialists in the Hematology Division; collaborate and coordinate with various divisions of the Clinical Laboratory and with all related services at SFGH, affiliated hospitals, health centers, clinics and out-reach clients. Assure optimal safety and efficiency of all functions supervised. Ensure compliance with regulatory agencies. This position performs all duties in a manner that is aligned with the values of the division, denotes professionalism, the team concept and reflects the UCSF and SFGH mission, vision and values.
This position performs all routine and special hematology, coagulation, urinalysis, body fluid and blood gas testing, including manual differentials, microscopic review of urine sediment, urine pregnancy testing and body fluid cell counts. Is responsible for the proper operation of instruments, including maintenance, troubleshooting, quality control analysis and laboratory information system (LIS) functions. Required Qualifications • Graduation from college with a major in an appropriate scientific field.
Physical Demands: requires sitting; standing; walking; squatting; bending; waist twisting; kneeling; reaching up to shoulder height; reaching above shoulder level; carrying/lifting 20 pounds; pushing/pulling 20 pounds; gripping/grasping, fine/gross finger manipulation; repetitive movements of upper and lower extremities; may be exposed to dust, fumes or gases; chemical agents; tuberculosis, blood, body fluids or tissue, and radiological materials; use protective equipment; differentiate color.
- Valid California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License issued by the State Department of Health.
- Four years of clinical laboratory testing experience.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure; recognize and resolve problems while maintaining a high level of organization.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Excellence in interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven Critical Thinking and Assessment skills.
- Clear understanding of basic statistical analysis.
- Ability to effectively manage change in a complex environment.
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required. Preferred Qualifications • Experience in a high volume computerized laboratory.
- Two or more years of previous supervisory experience.
- Ability to write reports using the principals of the scientific method for reporting.
- Use and knowledge of EP Evaluator.
- Experience with method correlations.
- Experience with Crew Resource Management
- Familiarity and experience using the principals of Just Culture and Service Excellence.
- Coaching ability and delivering high quality feedback to employees.