This position ensures that NSTAR’s gas distribution systems are constructed, maintained and operated to high quality standards, providing customers with safe, reliable, competitively priced and environmentally sound gas service. This position is multi-faceted with responsibilities that include integrated planning and scheduling, execution of fieldwork activities, performance measurement, coaching, mentoring and various administrative duties. Prepares and executes integrated work plans and schedules for district operations that facilitate timely and cost-effective completion of all capital workload including new business, compliance and mandated work, system reliability, and maintenance and construction. Adheres to prescribed timeframes for all capital, maintenance and compliance workload to maximize the productivity of district operations.
- Plans, organizes and manages the Gas Distribution field workload through accurate forecasting, staffing calculations, scheduling and management reports.
- Supervises work crews and oversees contractors engaged in the operation, maintenance and construction of NSTAR’s gas distribution systems.
- Creates, maintains and updates short and long-term staffing models and trending forecasts to improve the efficiency of the Gas Operations area.
- Responsible for the day-to-day scheduling of all short and long-term Gas Distribution workload in a district. Ensures that area resources are available to meet workload demands.
- Communicates with customers and community officials concerning all aspects of utility construction, operations, maintenance and service delivery.
- Coordinates outages as the on-scene supervisor. Responds to and classifies reported gas leaks. May participate in the supervisory on-call rotation.
- Ensures the safety of personnel by taking direct preventive measures, conducting effective monthly safety meetings and ensuring all related standards, rules and laws are understood and followed.
- Ensures that work is performed in accordance with appropriate Company standards and work methods including monitoring for a high quality of workmanship.
- Monitors district performance through analysis of manpower utilization, workload trends and productivity. Keeps district management informed of results.
- Ensures that all projects are initiated, estimated, executed and closed out in a timely, accurate and cost-effective manner and according to Company policy.
- Ensures an adequate inventory of material is available in the district to perform all scheduled work.
- Responsible for providing complete, accurate and timely work packages for work crews including required permits, dig safe authorization, drawings, etc.
- Monitors current and future workload to ensure district plans and schedules maximize productivity, control costs and meet or exceeds service level agreements (SLA’s).
- Creates and maintains accurate short and long-term workload forecasting and staffing models that ensure the effective utilization of distribution resources.
- Develops time and cost schedules for district management through analysis of survey statistics and productivity information.
- Manages performance by reviewing and evaluating work of employees. Identifies, builds consensus and communicates performance measures and expected performance levels. Assesses and improves team and employee performance through coaching and on-the-job training.
- Fosters an environment of teamwork, creativity and problem solving. Shares information and encourages participation in the decision making process. Removes obstacles through communication with other areas.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory and Company work rules and procedures. Understands and complies with the labor contract and works to resolve initial grievances. Initiates appropriate disciplinary action when required.
Technical Knowledge/Skill: Requires knowledge of gas distribution system design, operations, maintenance, and construction principles and practices, safety standards and business processes. Also requires project and schedule management skills including computerized work and materials management and scheduling tools. Requires a working knowledge of the labor contracts. Requires communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution and teamwork skills. Ability to use PC desktop applications (e.g. Microsoft Word & Excel).
Education/Experience: Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business Administration or related discipline plus three (3) years of experience in Gas Distribution, and/or Field Service design and/or installation, servicing customers, and supervising employees; OR Associate’s Degree in Engineering, Business Administration or related discipline plus five (5) years of experience in Gas Distribution, and/or Field Service design and/or installation, servicing customers, and supervising employees; OR Minimum of seven (7) years experience in Gas Distribution, and/or Field Service, or utility operations, or technical discipline with supervisory and/or customer service experience.
Licenses & Certifications: Massachusetts Drivers License, D.O.T. preferred.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and support a diversified environment. It is the policy and practice of NSTAR Electric & Gas to employ persons and to assign work, pay, promote and offer training to all persons on the same basis without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran.
NSTAR - 13 months ago
copy to clipboard
NSTAR Electric plays a starring role in bringing electric power to Boston. The company's electric transmission and distribution utility...