The Supervisor, Operations for Virginia Natural Gas supervises bargaining unit employees and contractors performing the installation, maintenance, repair, and replacement of natural gas mains and service lines, to turn gas service on and off, install and remove meters, identify, classify, and repair gas leaks for residential, commercial, and industrial customers during routine and emergency conditions. Ensures safety of personnel and compliance with applicable federal, state, local, and Company rules and regulations.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages internal and external personnel to meet forecasted demand
• Supervises daily and long-range activities to maintain, repair, respond to emergencies and remove gas pipeline facilities below ground.
Schedules employees and contractors; assigns tasks.
• Oversees contractors (i.e., leak survey, paving); reviews performance; approves invoices for payment.
• Manages and maintains vehicles (e.g., crew, emergency, boom truck, backhoe, etc.). Coordinates
• Ensures compliance with local, state, federal regulations; company policies and procedures. Updates manuals,
records, and systems. Coordinates and administers training for certifications and qualifications.
• Serves as liaison to fire departments, police departments, Department of Transportation; business, civic and
• Accountable for identification of gas leaks; coordinates repairs and manages
• Manages gas related emergencies.
• Works with Region Director in the evaluation and development of resource supply plans, including
assessment of training needs and priorities, certification requirements and other non-availabilities impacting
service center demand forecasts.
• Participates in planning meetings to evaluate barriers and provide recommendations for work planning
• Performs expediting function in support of employees and business objectives according to daily/weekly
• Responds to and helps resolve escalated customer complaints (e.g., damage to property, loss of service, retirement of gas service, corrosion orders).
• Provides assistance to other Service Centers as required.
• Prepares and administers budget (e.g., employees and contractors, tools, equipment, vehicles) according to plan. Monitors budget variances. Provides explanations on variances and takes appropriate action.
• Supervises staff selection, development and retention. Establishes and monitors work goals and objectives.
• Regularly engages staff in the assessment and evaluation of performance and development objectives. Provides performance feedback and coaching (oral and documented) to achieve organizational performance and behavioral expectations
• Follows organizational policies and procedures and ensures staff is in compliance.
- Leads teams by example with regards to safety and vehicle operation
- Supports staffing requirements by understanding and following Career Progression Model process
- Supports standardization by following established processes and escalates areas of opportunity through peers and Region Directors
- Supports resource management team by identifying areas of improvement to meet operational needs
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or GED
• 7-10 years experience in gas distribution operations or related experience
• 1-3 years supervisory experience
• 4 year college degree
Equivalent academic education and experience
Required (Must have or ability to obtain the following):
• Crisis management
• Work permit processing
• MS Office - intermediate proficiency
• Operator Qualified in accordance with Company Plan
• Critical Thinking:
- Proficiency with Excel reports; navigation, report building & review. Ability to analyze and
interpret data from Excel reports.
- Ability to formulate performance conclusions using Excel reports and root cause analysis.
- Ability to critically assess situations and decide on best course of action.
- Ability to anticipate work conflicts through observation, probing, and reports.
- Ability to resolve & facilitate conflicting situations through analysis, sound judgment, persuasion &
• Performance Management:
- Sets clear objectives, assigns & redirects work based on available resources to meet goals.
- Uses ad hoc & standard reports/systems to monitor individual performance.
- Proficiency with performance tools (Scorecard) & reporting.
- Recognizes & distinguishes the root causes of performance concerns (behavior, skill, technical, etc.)
- Recognizes the differences between coaching vs. managing.
- Seeks to develop talent through career goal awareness & development discussions.
- Develops staffing and financial forecasts based on Supply and Demand data
- Basic proficiency with Operations & Maintenance (O&M), Capital budgeting principles.
- Uses quantitative and qualitative data to draw conclusions.
• Change Agent:
- Manages and facilitates changes in work process.
- Ability to manage & lead others in ambiguous situations.
- Knowledgeable with & managing the stages of change.
- Basic understanding of change management models & concepts.
• Time Management:
- Ability to prioritize competing initiatives, work assignments & tasks.
- Ability to identify critical work from tasks.
- Skilled at using time management techniques.
• Work Expediting:
- Resolves issues and bottlenecks associated with order processing and completion.
- Anticipates and recognizes when pending work must be submitted for reprioritization and
reallocation to ensure goal attainment.
- Resolves disruptions in execution and makes sound decisions to quickly correct.
- Deals effectively with peers & support departments to attain optimal work execution.
- Performs end of day performance analysis & communicates results/expectation to team.
- Manages & prioritizes customer driven work; adheres to customer commitments.
- Uses key measures (appt attainment, etc.) to determine progress & goal attainment.
• Compliance & Safety:
- Proficiency with industry codes and regulations; ability to identify improper procedures and/or work
• Valid drivers license
• Flag traffic
• Medic First Aid
• Trenching and shoring
• Mechanical fitting
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Subject to adverse field conditions
Disclaimer: This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
AGL Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace.
AGL Resources - 30+ days ago