Cooper Industries is a global manufacturer of electrical products and tools, with 2006 revenues of $5.2 billion, approximately 30 percent of which are international sales. Incorporated in Bermuda with administrative headquarters in Houston, Cooper employs approximately 31,000 people and operates nine divisions: Cooper B-Line, Cooper Bussmann, Cooper Crouse-Hinds, Cooper Hand Tools, Cooper Lighting, Cooper Menvier, Cooper Power Systems, Cooper Power Tools and Cooper Wiring Devices. Cooper Connection provides a common marketing and selling platform for Cooper's sales to electrical distributors.
Cooper Power Systems is the leading provider of electrical distribution solutions that deliver power to communities and industries worldwide. Our automation and integration products protect, connect, and improve the entire power system for better safety and more reliable energy delivery every day. Cooper Power Systems focuses on innovative, reliable electrical distribution solutions for medium- and high-voltage applications. Our products are engineered for substations, overhead, underground, and in-plant medium voltage distribution systems. Through our developments in automation and integration systems, our customers are able to improve system performance and meet the growing demands for electrical distribution.
The Supplier Quality Engineer is a key technical leader responsible for working with Suppliers, Design Engineering, Operations and Supply Chain for the selection of qualified suppliers and improvement of supplier performance to provide a positive impact on the quality of new and existing products. Works with Design Engineering, Operations and Supply Chain teams to drive continuous design and process improvements at the suppliers.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Initial Responsibilities Related to Startup of a New Supplier Quality Organization
· Develop and implement a variety of supplier quality systems including supplier manuals, work instructions, project definitions, formal assessments, metric reporting and various quality documents related to N ew P roduct D evelopment and Change Management .
· Various projects as assigned by the Supplier Quality Manager that facilitate the development of a new Supplier Quality organization within Cooper Power Systems.
Quality Systems Development
· Responsible for the development and implementation of internal supplier quality systems that will bring Cooper Power Systems suppliers to a world class level.
· Ability to develop and implement supplier training on quality systems and related tools.
· Develop and implement various Cooper Power Systems supplier quality standards related to new products, supplier development, change management and performance assessment.
Supplier Quality Assurance
· Serves as an active quality liaison and main point of contact between suppliers, supply chain, operations and design engineering when major quality problems exist that affect product quality. Works with suppliers to obtain and close Corrective Actions and to ensure that root causes have been properly identified and eliminated.
· Responsible for addressing and resolving supplier issues and driving formal corrective action. Leads the tracking and root cause analysis of designated supplier’s product/process non-conformances. Recommends resolution to non-conformances where appropriate.
· Ability to lead and conduct Supplier Assessments in conjunction with Supply Chain to qualify potential new suppliers or evaluate existing suppliers. Works with existing supply base to meet CPS standards. Works with the Supply Chain organization to develop new suppliers capable of meeting CPS standards.
· Drives the implementation of the parts approval (PPAP) and quality improvement processes using the appropriate tools (PFMEA’s, process flow charts, control plans, capability studies, part layouts, Gage R & R, SPC, etc.) as required.
· Works with Supply Chain management to identify strategic suppliers and uses the supplier scorecard system to monitor performance of those strategic suppliers.
· Assists suppliers with statistical analysis of process potential (Ppk) and process capability (Cpk) where necessary to improve performance.
· Works with key suppliers to develop and implement quality targets and plans. Assists with Supplier performance monitoring, including: PPM’s, 8D, DMN, % On-time delivery, % PPAP completed on-time and first time; ECN’s initiated at PPAP.
· Supports and assists suppliers with to improve quality and reduce total cost per part by eliminating waste in the supply chain process. Use 6 sigma and lean manufacturing/lean enterprise tools to drive the results.
· Represents the company to all external parties (customer and supplier) in a professional and beneficial manner.
· Assists with the development and mentoring of other Supplier Quality Engineer(s) and other applicable Quality Engineering personnel.
Product Design & Development Support
· Works with Design Engineering and Supply Chain to ensure that quality criteria are clearly identified on all newly established parts and communicated to suppliers.
· Works with Design Engineering & Supply Chain to reduce the Cost of Poor Quality. This may include items such as corrective action, design changes and supplier process changes.
· Responsible for developing and leading routine risk assessment activity on all new products.
· Works in partnership with engineering to manage and improve the NPD process to ensure adherence to all requirements to achieve zero defect quality and launch readiness.
· Responsible for establishing, reviewing, and approving all suppler requirements related to Quality Systems on assigned new product developments.
· Leads the Design for Manufacturability (DFM) process to identify areas of focus for design and manufacturability.
· Supports suppliers (or participates where appropriate) in effective Process Failure Mode Analysis to ensure all failure modes are captured, all appropriate failure modes from the DFMEA are carried over into the process FMEA, all rankings are appropriately assigned, actions are taken against high RPN’s, and historical “lessons learned” information is carried over into current PFMEA’s.
· Reviews supplier PPAP submissions including control plans and assists with control plan creation where necessary. Ensures all appropriate significant or Critical to Quality (CTQ) characteristics are included, that reaction plans are adequate and customer approval is obtained where necessary.
· Maintains effective and professional relationships with managers and personnel at both supplier and customer locations.
EXPECTED DELIVERABLES & RESULTS:
· Implements supplier systems and drives the reduction of supplier quality defects to the level as agreed in the M, D & P (Performance Goals) process.
· Sets and meets targets for assigned strategic and key suppliers in order to reduce the overall number of Corrective Actions, while simultaneously improving the timeliness and quality of responses.
· Sets and meets targets for overall incoming PPM’s for assigned suppliers.
This position provides an entry point into a successful and growing career with Cooper Power Systems with potential opportunities in Supplier Quality, Plant Quality, Operations, Supply Chain and Design Engineering.
Bachelors Degree in an Engineering or Technology Discipline
Experience in the field of Electrical Utilities or electrical component manufacturing
5+ years of previous experience as a Quality Engineer, preferably SQE
Knowledge of various Manufacturing Processes (electronics, metal stamping & forming, plastics & rubber molding, machining, etc.)
Experience working with and auditing suppliers (ASQ or RAB certification preferred).
Strong ability to draft recommendations via formal presentations and documentation.
Experience with Automotive Quality Systems, such as APQP, PPAP and ISO 9001:2000
Excellent teamwork and communications with suppliers, supply chain, operations and engineering. Maintains professionalism at all times.
Ability to travel 50-75 % domestically as required, 10% internationally.
About Eaton's Cooper Power Systems Location(s)
Waukesha serves as the main location for Eaton's Cooper Power Systems business offices. Conveniently located 15 miles west of Milwaukee, recreational opportunities in Waukesha County include:
Waukesha County is home to excellent schools, many beautiful communities, and an unsurpassed quality of living. Learn more here .
- 77 lakes offering fishing, swimming, boating
- 21,000 acres of public parks (state, county, municipal)
- 129 miles of hiking and biking trails, 70 miles of cross country ski trails and nearly 200 miles of snowmobile trails
- Over 20 public golf courses, countless more are privately operated
Eaton's Cooper Power Systems endeavors to make our career site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact our Division Talent Management Representative at (262)-896-2487. Eaton's Cooper Power Systems, LLC is an EEO/AA Employer M/F/D/V
- 2 years ago - save job