The Surgical Coordinator is responsible for scheduling all major surgical procedures including, but not necessarily limited to vitreo-retinal and cataract surgery. Ensure that all ancillary services pre/post-surgery are scheduled for the patient and that the patient is adequately cleared for surgical procedures.
Hours are Monday - Friday, from 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
- Schedule surgical procedures at two outpatient facilities, making sure all surgical block time is utilized. Releasing any unused blocks in a timely manner to prevent surgeons from being penalized.
- Work with patient to ensure the required ancillary appointments are scheduled in a timely manner and they understand the pre-surgical requirements
- Maintain multiple outlook calendars and Nteirprise schedules for surgeons, editing as needed
- Work with patient to obtain all necessary referrals for pre-surgical appointments and work directly with insurance company to obtain any pre- authorizations for surgical procedures.
- Assemble all necessary paper work for surgery packets and ensure that packets are received by Pre-Admission Offices and Operation Room in timely manner
- Enter surgical charges into Next Gen billing templates and audit for missing surgical charges in Ntierprise on a timely basis.
- Adjust clinic schedules accordingly to accommodate any added surgical cases and contact any patients being canceled to reschedule
- Act as liaison for patient to surgeon and vise-versa.
- Maintain monthly OR comparative graph
- Work with medical assistant to maintain stock of consent forms, patient brochures, patient supplies, etc.
- Assist with other projects or tasks as delegated by manager
Joslin Diabetes Center is an EEO M/F/D/V
- High School (or equivalent) diploma. Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a medical setting
Experience with surgical booking---ophthalmology preferred
- Demonstrated ability with automated scheduling/registration systems
- Knowledge of insurers and requirements – preferred
- Knowledge of basic CPT and ICD-9 coding – preferred
- Demonstrated ability with PC and various software applications