The Surgical Technologist is responsible for assisting to prepare the operating room by setting up surgical instruments and equipment, sterile drapes, and sterile solutions in the operating room before an operation. They assemble both sterile and nonsterile equipment, as well as check and adjust it to ensure that it is working properly. Technologists also prepare patients for surgery by washing, shaving, and disinfecting incision sites. This position will transport patients to the operating room, assist in positioning them on the operating table, and cover them with sterile surgical drapes. Technologists also observe patients' vital signs, check charts, and help the surgical team put on sterile gowns and gloves.
• Perform necessary set-up of operating room; gather instruments, equipment, sterile solutions, etc.
• Test equipment prior to operation to ensure that it is in proper working order
• Prepare patients for surgery (washing, shaving, disinfecting)
• Assist in positioning the patient on the operating table and cover with sterile surgical drapes
• Assist the surgical team in putting on sterile gowns and gloves
• Pass instruments and other sterile supplies to surgeons and surgical assistants during surgery
• May hold retractors, cut sutures, and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments
• Monitor patients vitals and check charts as needed
• May prepare, care for, and dispose of specimens taken for laboratory analysis
• Apply dressings as requested
• Operate sterilizers, lights, or suction machines and assist in the operation of diagnostic equipment
• Transfer patients to the recovery room and clean and restock the operating room
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required
• Prior experience as an OR Tech/GI Tech
• Current CPR certification and capable of initiating cardio-pulmonary resuscitation in times of emergency
• Knowledge of principles of sterile technique
• Certification by the National Board of Surgical Technology
• Surgical Assisting preferred
Holston Medical Group - 19 months ago
At Wellmont Health System, wellness is paramount. Wellmont Health System provides general and advanced medical-surgical care to residents of...