The main purpose of the Surgical Technician is to prepare and provide appropriate instrumentation and supplies during surgery, prepare and maintain a sterile field before and during the surgical procedures, anticipates the needs of the surgeon intra-operatively, appropriately plans and prepares to meet those needs. You will also provide a safe working environment in the operating room for the patient and fellow team members, maintain all instruments and equipment used during the procedure and is accountable for all items on the sterile field during the surgical procedure.
- Performs decontamination and sterilization of equipment and instrumentation. Instruments are washed with enzymatic cleaner and all lumens are flushed. Flash sterilization times are 100% accurate for each item. Documentation is 100% complete for all items (patient label, item name, room number, and initials). Sterility indicators, time, temperature, and pressure are checked with 100% accuracy. Any items that are considered unsterile are reported immediately to the Head Nurse and not brought to field.
- Maintains strict aseptic technique. Performs surgical hand scrub according to hospital policy IC201 at all times. Gowns and gloves self and others according to AORN standards with 100¬curacy. Inspects all packaged items before usage to ensure integrity. Sterile indicators are checked on all sterile items. Any indicator that is doubtful for sterility leads to removal of item 100% of the time. Creates and monitors sterile field at all times. Monitors scrubbed persons at all times. Reports breaks in technique immediately as they observed.
- Maintenance of instrumentation and equipment. Assembles and checks equipment and supplies pre-operatively and communicates needs to circulator prior to bringing patient in room. Preference cards are updated prior to case completion.
- Assists in maintenance and care of surgical specimens according to standard procedure.
- Assists in the education of new hire ORTs by precepting, sharing experiences, and providing guidance.
- Participates in department and staff development conferences.
- Performs patient and departmental related functions as requested by supervisor. Assists in positioning patients and transporting them to and from surgical suite.
- Troubleshoots equipment.
- Actively participates in educational sessions and department events. Arrives on time. Offers feedback and constructive suggestions.
- High School Diploma or GED, required. Completion of an accredited Operating Room Technician (ORT) Training Program, preferred.
- O.R.T Certification, preferred
- Prior experience as an operating room technician, required.
- Knowledge of a wide range of surgical instrumentation and equipment including lasers, microscopes, cautery devices, tourniquets, powered saws, drills, sterilizers, etc., required.
Transforming care, optimizing patient satisfaction and creating better patient outcomes are just some of the things our talented team members are doing at North Shore-LIJ each and every day. As a culture committed to providing our customers with the highest quality service, we stand behind our core values: Patients first; Caring; Excellence; Innovation; Integrity and Teamwork. It is our commitment and our culture that sets us apart from others and is the cornerstone of everything we do. Join an organization whose team members are valued, cared for and offered continuous opportunities to grow. Click on the link to learn more about us: www.northshorelij.com/goals
Please note: North Shore-LIJ is a smoke-free environment. Smoking and the use of tobacco products is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. Free smoking cessation programs and quit medications are offered to team members who wish to quit through the North Shore-LIJ Center for Tobacco Control.
North Shore-LIJ Health System
- 2 years ago - save job
Northwell Health (formerly North Shore-LIJ Health System) is New York State’s largest health care provider and private employer. With 21...