Performs scrub duties. Assists in-patient care and related services in the Operating Room under the guidance of the Registered Nurse. Prepares supplies and equipment for use in surgical procedures. Participates in surgical procedures by adhering to aseptic technique, utilizing safely instruments and equipment and applying the principles of anatomy and physiology to a surgical patient. The Surgical Technologist acts as a preceptor to less technically prepared employees, students and others as indicated. May serve patent populations from neonate, infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult to geriatric.
- Assists in the orientation of new personnel and will orient new associates as needed and experience level will allow.
- Plans for and prepares necessary instruments, supplies, and equipment required for surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge and technical skill in the care and use of instruments, supplies and equipment used during a surgical procedure.
- Performs skin prep as directed.
- Assists in positioning and draping the patient for the appropriate procedure.
- Properly identifies and handles medication passed onto the sterile field under the direction of the RN.
- Completes accurate instrument, sponge, and sharp counts with a Registered Nurse.
- Performs scrub duties such as handling of instruments, holding retractors, cutting sutures, and maintaining a sterile field.
- Assists in transporting blood products and specimens to and from the Laboratory.
- Ensures proper care of specimens from surgical procedures.
- Performs all work in accordance with accepted standards of sanitation, safety and proper handling techniques, including sterilization and high level disinfection’s procedures.
- Assists Registered Nurse as directed.
- Develops and maintains effective communication with patients, medical staff and hospital personnel.
- Makes a conscious effort to contain costs within the department and to the patients.
- Provides general direction in clinical setting to student surgical technologists assigned to surgery.
- Assist other team members with room cleaning and turnover.
- Restocks OR rooms and supply cabinets with supplies according to departmental procedures; rotates supplies as needed.
- Be “on call” for emergencies and available for additional duty if necessary.
in Sterile Processing
as needed to processing sterilization functions and to assist in
case cart preparation and selection of supplies
for upcoming cases.
- Assists in maintaining equipment rooms; checks instruments that need to be sent to Material Services for processing; locates missing instruments; prepares surgeons’ instruments for following day’s schedule.
- Assist Team Coordinators with projects involving instrumentation and preference cards.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Assist in transporting patients.
- Works to maintain a positive team relationship with co-workers.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Completion of a Surgical Technology program through an accredited school or the military.
- Previous Operating Room experience within the last 3 years in an acute Hospital setting required.
- Current national Surgical Technology certification preferred.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
Catholic Health Initiatives and its organizations are Equal Opportunity Employers.
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, organization values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times
- Adheres to and exhibits our core values:
: Having a profound spirit of awe and respect for all creation, shaping relationships to self, to one another and to God and acknowledging that we hold in trust all that has been given to us.
: Moral wholeness, soundness, uprightness, honesty and sincerity as a basis of trustworthiness.
: Feeling with others, being one with others in their sorrows and joys, rooted in the sense of solidarity as members of the human community.
: Outstanding achievement, merit, virtue; continually surpassing standards to achieve/maintain quality.
- Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times
- Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines
- Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, residents, visitors, staff and the broader health care community
St. Joseph Medical Center - 18 months ago
For 125 years St. Joseph Medical Center has provided an ever-increasing range of services to residents in the Greater Houston area. As the...