Suspension Technology Engineer
Suspension Design Engineer to join our Suspension R&D Team at our Santa Clarita, CA facility. Primary responsibilities consist of research, design and testing of mountain bike suspension technologies and components. Provides design assistance for moderately complex engineering assignments including products, parts, components, or portions of chassis projects. Has genuine interest and extensive knowledge of mountain bike chassis components and their effects on the vehicle performance. Participates as test rider in evaluation of components and mountain bikes, and monitors mountain bike field testing program.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Researches, plans, designs and prototypes mountain bike suspension technologies.
- Evaluating, tuning, building, modifying and inspecting mountain bike suspension components and technologies.
- Prepares mountain bikes for testing requirements.
- Researches and analyzes suspension data.
- Handles suspension test set-ups and data acquisitions.
- Participates in lab and field testing of mountain bike suspension systems for evaluation of vehicle handling and suspension performance.
- Monitors mountain bike field testing program. Distributes field testing requirements to Field Testing Coordinator.
- Records findings, assists in analyzing data and composes comprehensive reports of findings.
- Assists in dismantling and reassembling suspension components during test runs as needed.
- Performs tasks to assist engineering in such as preliminary research, initial drawings or diagrams, design modification, or testing.
- Work with suspension suppliers to design, develop and tune components/suspension systems to meet all Trek specified requirements such as weight, cost, durability, and performance targets.
- Analyze the suitability of existing components and designs, identifying whether new or modified designs are required to achieve desired tuning/performance objectives.
- Ensures schedule deadlines are met.
The ideal candidate will be motivated and self-driven and have the following qualities:
Extensive travel required. Flexibility to travel and work overtime as needed is necessary.
- 3-5 years of experience in the mountain biking sports.
- Solidworks software experience preferred.
- PC proficiency (MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other technical software).
- Knowledge of mountain bike mechanics, chassis design and vehicle dynamics is a must.
- Hands on mechanical aptitude and good understanding of suspension design/function required.
- Intermediate level or above mountain bike riding skills required.
- Ability to read/understand technical drawings and specifications is a must.
- Basic machine shop skills desired.
- Data acquisition and Dynamometer analyzing and interpretation skills preferred.
- Previous experience working in an industrial or academic research and development environment is preferred.
- Must have clean driving record and be able to drive company vehicle.
- In-depth knowledge of Mechatronics is preferred.
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills.
Trek Bicycle Corporation - 22 months ago