Under limited supervision responsible for scoping, developing, recommending, implementing and managing data systems to support the city's Climate Action Plan (CAP) and Zero Waste goals. Manages the collection, storage, analysis and reporting of the city's sustainability data.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Assist with organizational advancement of performance excellence and integrated systems thinking.
2. Ensure the collection of various sustainability data and be primarily responsible for its management, quality assurance, and analysis.
3. Compile municipal and communitywide greenhouse gas inventories and quantify greenhouse gas reduction activities.
4. Develop appropriate metrics for measuring success of climate, energy, and zero waste programs and implement best practices where available.
5. Model and create data repositories, interfaces and dashboards, including a management system for community trash and recycling data.
6. Maintain databases and Excel spreadsheets, including data import, conversion, creating tables, queries and reports, and quality assurance.
7. Assist in preparation of reports on community trash and recycling, greenhouse gas emissions levels and GHG reductions, and municipal sustainability goals. Assist in community sustainability metric reporting. Create standard and custom graphs, charts and tables.
8. Responsible for the evaluation, internal development or external procurement, and maintenance of an expanded city carbon accounting system that interfaces with existing city facility utility data (electricity, natural gas, fuel, water, sewer, solid waste, recycling) and associated costs, for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting.
9. Develop, monitor, track and evaluate environmental performance measures including benchmarking and best practice studies.
10. Develop Return-On-Investment calculations for municipal and community sustainability and carbon reduction projects and proposals.
11. Solicit, prepare, and administer grants, as appropriate.
12. Manage consulting contracts with environmental and engineering firms.
13. Coordinate, lead, and serve on task forces and teams working to conceptualize, plan, execute and monitor sustainability data.
• Performs related duties as required to meet the needs of the city.
• Takes proper safety precautions to prevent accidents. Responsible for the safety of self, others, materials, and equipment. Uses all required safety equipment and follows all safety regulations, policies and procedures. Reports all accidents and damage to city property.
• Responsible for knowing and complying with all city and department policies; participating in professional trainings and development; and adhering to attendance and workplace attire policies.
Generally, duties and responsibilities are listed from most to least critical or time consuming.
CITY VISION AND VALUES:
The City of Boulder is committed to service excellence for an inspired future and the following values:
• Customer service - We are dedicated to exceeding the expectations of our community and our co-workers by demonstrating consistent and professional service with a solution-oriented approach
• Respect - We champion diversity and welcome individual perspectives, backgrounds and opinions. We are open-minded and treat all individuals with respect and dignity.
• Integrity - We are stewards of the public's trust and are committed to service that is transparent and consistent with city regulations and policies. We are honorable, follow through on our commitments and accept responsibility.
• Collaboration - We are committed to organizational success and celebrate our shared dedication to public service. We believe community collaboration and the sum of our individual contributions leads to great results.
• Innovation - We promote a forward-thinking environment that supports creativity, calculated risks and continuous improvement. We embrace change and learn from others in order to deliver leading edge service.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Information Technology, Environmental Sciences or related field from an accredited college or university; a minimum of three years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to collect, organize and analyze sets of data; ability to deduce implications of collected data and communicate findings. Skill in identifying trends in statistics and data. Demonstrated expertise with Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. Proficient knowledge and experience with relational database theory and concepts including design, administration, and access. Demonstrated ability to produce reports using Crystal Reports or similar enterprise level report generation software applications and basic ability to write SQL statements. Demonstrated ability to develop graphics, tables, and other visual materials. Significant professional experience with environmental data, indicators, benchmarks, and performance measurement. Experience analyzing business processes to determine potential needs and improvements. Familiar with sustainability principles, environmental management and outreach, and/or climate change. Knowledge of practices and principles of project management. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in a variety of styles and formats. Ability to deliver effective presentations to groups of varying size and interests. Ability to develop and maintain effective highly professional relationships with users, customers and other City employees. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – In addition to the required minimum qualifications:
Master of Science degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Policy, Environmental Management, Information Technology or a related field. Prior work experience with sustainability data and/or greenhouse gas inventory data. Prior work experience working with local government. Experience working with geographic information systems (GIS). Experience coding SQL queries. Experience with Oracle, SQL, MS Access databases. Strong computer skills including proficiency with web site design and web site development tools including dashboards.
WORKING CONDITIONS - Required Physical and Mental Effort, and Environmental Conditions
Physical and Mental Effort: Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities that permits the employee to communicate effectively on the telephone and in person. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation that permits the employee to review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written documents and materials. Sufficient manual dexterity that permits the employee to operate computer equipment and other office equipment. Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, that permits the employee to work in an office setting. Work may include extended periods of time viewing a computer video monitor and/ or operating a keyboard. Ability to work under stress from demanding deadlines, public contact, and changing priorities and conditions.
Work Environment: Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment. Works in a setting subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
Machines and equipment used include, but are not limited to the following: Frequently uses standard office equipment including personal computers, telephones, calculators and copy/fax machines.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Note: The above description is illustrative only. It is not meant to be all-inclusive.
City of Boulder, CO - 18 months ago