CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Essential Functions):
- Under the direction of the Sustainability Manager, implements the development and integration of sustainability (safety, health, environmental and security [SHES]) risk reduction activities, including but not limited to some of the following key programs: machine safety; environmental controls; energy control, ergonomics; behavior based safety; standardized work; safety training and awareness; inspection and auditing; employee involvement; and sustainability leadership.
- Provide support to site specific sustainability programs and initiatives and risk reduction activities.
- Submit metrics and related incident information to Chassix management.
- Identify, and remain up-to-date, on all SHES compliance (local, state/provincial and national) regulations and requirements that apply to the operation.
- Supervise all compliance activities to assure compliance with applicable local, state/provincial and national regulations. Includes the development and maintenance of compliance related plans, policies, procedures and documents.
- Develop and administer applicable plant wide emergency and contingency response procedures.
- Support and oversee sustainability programs/processes and related committees/teams (ergonomics, accident investigation, health and safety, etc.).
- Prepare and submit (after approval) government reports as required by applicable SHES regulations (local, state/provincial and national).
- Supervise all waste management operations - handling, transport, treatment and manifesting of hazardous and non-hazardous wastes.
- Support, with direction, any industrial hygiene sampling and exposure abatement related activities.
- Maintain ISO 14001 certification/requirements and manage the site’s sustainability management system.
- Maintain the facility chemical management system that includes tracking of all chemicals used at the facility and the related Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
EMPLOYEE SUPERVISION RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership, support, and mentoring to sustainability resources.
- Define roles and responsibilities of sustainability resources and other function resources that support sustainability activities and programs.
- Act as security supervisor - establish and maintain security programs at sites.
- Provide guidance/support/assistance to the Human Resources Function in relation to their administration of site’s First-Aid Responder, Personal Protective Equipment (safety shoes, safety glasses, etc.) and Workers Compensation programs.
- Conduct health/safety programs promoting employee wellness.
- Participate, as required, in layered process audits (LPAs), lean, 6S, six sigma and other workshop activities
- Use and maintain various computer databases as applicable. Be computer literate in use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
EDUCATIONAL and EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Inter-office correspondence, written as necessary.
- Utilize the sustainability data website.
- Ensure that sustainability data is entered into the Chassix database per prescribed time frames and create monthly activity reports as defined.
- Associates Degree in Environmental and /or Safety Engineering and Management or closely related field is preferred.
- Four (4) to Five (5) years experience in manufacturing environment with emphasis on safety/environmental management. Must have ability to work with minimal supervision and must be capable of leading sustainability function activities as directed.
- Working knowledge in relation to developing processes and practices related to the following key areas: system implementation; life safety; environmental compliance (air, water, waste) and controls; ergonomics; risk assessment and reduction; and industrial hygiene.
- Experience in implementing and managing the Chassix SMS requirements and ISO 14001 EMS certification requirements.
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of SHES compliance (local, state/provincial and national) requirements that are applicable to the facility.
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of Industrial Hygiene practices, procedures and data/analysis interpretation.
- Strong organizational skills, analytical and problem solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Must be able to supervise multiple activities and have demonstrated follow-up and closure skills.
- Be able to achieve ergonomic and other subject matter expert proficiency while on the job.
- Ability to work with computer keyboard/screen on a daily basis.
- Ability to work in manufacturing/assembly operations.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors.
- Physical capabilities – as defined by the site.