High School graduate
Minimum of two years working with the public
Basic computer skills
Ability to verbally communicate effectively
Ability to type 30 wpm
Basic office and general clerical skills.
Two years operational/technical experience with automated communications equipment.
High level of customer relation skills demonstrated in previous position(s).
Experience in hospital/medical setting
Works under the Director of Information Services, Switchboard Manager and within the Switchboard Team.
Receives training and scheduling from Switchboard Manager and staff.
Sits much of the time with computer equipment interaction
Flexible schedule may be required
Providing coverage during emergency situations may be required
Work may be subject to frequent interruptions and changing priorities
Has daily contact and working relationship with most areas of Munson Medical Center and other Munson Healthcare facilities
HUMAN RELATIONS/PROBLEM SOLVING:
The Switchboard Staff must consistently display effective communication and interpersonal skills with all consumer groups to nurture their relationship with Munson Healthcare
Switchboard Operators are expected to routinely exercise sound judgment, positive departmental relations, and a teamwork ethic
An ability to assimilate urgent and routine caller information to ensure appropriate handling of caller’s request is required
- Exercises a high degree of control over confidential information
- Calls, messages, and pages are processed in compliance with the various provider and subscriber specifications to ensure accurate and expedient relay of caller information
- Effectively uses the AMCOM software and computer for paging, patient and directory information, and availability of clients
- Provides paging of on call staff for Munson Healthcare
- Provides customer assistance via the phone for the Patient Information Desk
- Answers after hour phones for Grayling Mercy Hospital and transfers appropriately
- Handles notification for HICS emergency codes, Exposures, Work Injuries, Elevator Emergencies, STEMI’s, MRT’s, PRT’s, Hypothermia patients, and Trauma’s
- Provides customers with patient information such as room and/or telephone number and area of hospital being careful not to violate patient confidentiality in the event a patient is restricted
- Maintains a profile on each physician with paging parameters and pertinent demographic information, availability and coverage information
- Facilitates communication between Physicians and their patients during and after office hours
- Generates a daily on-call sheet for use in the Emergency Room and through out Munson Healthcare
- Maintains an accurate on-call sheet on each shift, making changes as they occur
- Supplies batteries and loaner pagers as required
- Has an understanding & can demonstrate basic pager functions
- Gives information on MMC meetings and activities
- Answer requests from hospital for in-house telephone extensions, use of the phone and paging system, and educates staff on use of the MMC directory, Smart Web and Smart Speech
- Programs patient phones on at 7:30am and off at 10:00pm
- Operates fax and copy machines and computer printers as needed
- Provides all Overhead paging in MMC utilizing existing policies and protocols
- Provides scanning services for various departments
- Other duties as assigned by the Switchboard Manager and Director of Information Services, including additional work during slow periods