Perform in-depth and advance repairs and troubleshooting on the mechanical and electrical aspect of electrical power generation.
- Job specific - technician must be able to logically evaluate the job given to them in a timely, efficient manner.
- Be able to use mathematical formulas as a part of troubleshooting.
- Technician must be a consistent 85% productivity rate.
- Daily service report writing and time entry is a must in this position.
- Monitoring systems - Modbus, Ethernet, CAN Buss, upload/download files and parameters, posses above average computer skills
- Technician will be expected to be able to be on emergency call at their normal rotation along with the other switchgear/ups specialist for at least 7 days at a time. They must be accessible when needed except during regularly scheduled vacation, personnel business time off either by phone or pager.
- Must be at a skill level to comprehend logic of Caterpillar UPS systems and obtain the needed training for the products.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external personnel and customers in written and verbal formats. Must be able to train end users on operation of equipment.
- Technician must be able to interpret and modify to as built conditions schematics on job sites and in manuals for jobs that they as assigned to. Must be able to interpret manuals for jobs that they are assigned.
- Technician must be aware and conscious of all safety factors revolving around circuits at high power levels. Must adhere to all company safety policies (i.e. EPG safety work policy, and others). Failure to do so can affect employment status.
- Must be proficient in identifying components in system which include but are not limited to modular system, processors, power supplies, I/O modules and communications modules.
- Ability to modify or fabricate product in order to meet job specific requirements.
- Attend Training courses relative to job positions as needed, monthly Pure Safety, notifying supervisor of training needs on an on going basis.
Must be a high school graduate with the below work experience. 4 Years of job specific military experience or a technical college graduate in diesel or electrical technology can off set the below work experiences by 2 years.
Must have a minimum of 5 years direct experience with Automatic Transfer Switches. UPS and Switchgear experience very desirable.
Must be a GPEC EPG Master Technician performer for at least 1 year.
Must be able to routinely and physically lift/position various parts to perform repairs/service and manually handle parts up to 100 pounds, as well as use mechanical hoist for heavier parts.
Possess or immediately obtain related mechanical/electrical hand tools that meet required divisional standard. Will work remotely with rare trips to dispatching office. Must be able to effectively write repair activities on customer work orders. Must have cognitive reasoning and problem solving skills to apply knowledge, written information and verbal instructions in repairing/servicing unusual and/or unknown technical equipment operational problems. Should have exposure to P.C. base equipment and parts information; can work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to interface with customers (both internal & external) effectively and courteously. Technician must be safety conscience and comfortable with live circuits at very high power levels. Must be able to respond to customers EPG emergency needs during man-made or natural occurrences.
Field Activity- Must be able to daily operate a service vehicle and drive for extended periods to reach customer's locations. Conduct all business and social activities in a manner which reflects integrity and professional excellence.
Additional: Field activities require a valid state drivers license (obtain within 30 days of hire a valid license within the state of GPEC's operation) AND posses a safe driving record, as outlined in our GPEC Motor Vehicle Policy. Some vehicles may require having or obtaining a valid Commercial Drivers License (CDL).
Additional Prerequisite for Position:
A candidate must:
Be well versed in the electrical and mechanical aspect of electrical power generation.
Being familiar with the diesel and gasoline / LP gas engines is a must.
Process in-depth, advanced understanding and troubleshooting skills in the following systems:
Lubrication, cooling, fuel systems (mechanical and electronic)Generators operations and applications (permanent magnet and self excited
LP gasGenerator Instrumentation
Engine InstrumentationLoad Banks
Electrical actuatorsIndustrial Communications Protocols
Governors (mechanical and electronic)Un-interruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
Battery charging systemsVoltage regulation and power conditioning
Surge Suppression and other associated electrical devicesElectrical Safety, Lockout-Tagout
KVAR and power factor controlsCaterpillar (and other OEMs) engine controls
Candidate must have had exposure to and be able to perform basic troubleshooting skills on the following systems:
Surge Suppression and other associated electrical devicesIndustrial Communications Protocols (Modbus, Ethernet)
Un-interruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
Individual should be well versed in the electrical aspect of power generation regardless of the type of gear being worked on. Individual must demonstrate the ability to comprehend basic Automatic Transfer Switches , PLC based Industrial Controls, Electronic Engine Governors, Remote Monitoring Systems, Stored Energy Systems (UPS's), and Electrical Power Surge Suppression equipment.
Additionally the individual should be proficient with various types of electronic test equipment such as Oscilloscopes, Digital Voltage Meters, Phasing Indication Meters, Harmonic Distortion Meters, Load Banks and Caterpillar test equipment. Demonstrate above average comprehension of electronic diagrams and flow charts.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The manager may request and assign you similar duties.
Gregory Poole Equipment Company - 21 months ago