The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm which prides itself in conducting high-impact, high-stakes projects for significant Federal, state, and private organizations. The Information Technology Department is a dynamic workplace within AIR with a clear agenda to develop a service oriented organization in line with large scale changes both within IT and the business. It is composed of a strong team of co-workers and challenging varied roles that aim to stretch and expand the value IT delivers within American Institutes for Research (AIR). This position will be located in our Washington, D.C. (Georgetown) office.
American Institutes for Research is searching for a Storage System Engineer with specialization on data storage management within our IT Service Operations organization. This includes problem solving, design and operation of storage services with a heightened focus on NetApp storage solutions. The engineer monitors and controls storage operations in a private as well as public hosting environment both proactively and according to service levels. Secondarily, this function will be responsible for certain aspects of the storage systems lifecycle.
The Storage Systems Engineer will have responsibility and accountability for delivering and supporting storage services at AIR. This includes day to day management of 3rd party suppliers, tier 1, 2 and tier 3 problem resolution, implementation and preventive maintenance for systems in the live environment. The Storage Systems Engineer reports to the Sr. Manager of Infrastructure Services.
- Support storage solutions for all AIR offices and remote offices, technology centers and facilities.
- Manage configuration, maintenance, availability, integrity and performance of enterprise-wide data storage environment including external facing web hosting services.
- Support efforts with data storage systems including the designs and innovative technical solutions based on business and technical requirements. In addition, will include design/implementation of storage services strategically throughout the enterprise.
- Execute on server hardware and software life-cycle management policies and procedures.
- Establish, maintain and optimize processes, procedures and standards for the delivery of standardized storage solutions.
- Research and formulates technical, installation, corrective, preventative maintenance standards.
- Share knowledge and understanding of the data storage services industry, business issues and best practices.
Nice to have:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience.
- Recent Profession Certification (NetApp, Microsoft and/or Cisco)
- 5+ years of experience with enterprise level design and support
- 2 years of storage systems experience including both NetApp, EMC, HP and/or Microsoft solutions
- Deep technical expertise on Windows Server 2008, Active Directory and DNS.
- Has a working knowledge of system management tools (Backup, Performance, Capacity Planning, Storage Management (NetApp/EMC)) and application tools (IIS, SQL Server, Oracle).
- Moderate experience with infrastructure and server theories, principles and concepts; application infrastructure and standards; networking fundamentals; Windows; SAN storage systems; clustering; physical server architecture; Virtualization Technologies and LAN/WAN/Firewall/VPN network technologies.
- Advanced knowledge in building Windows and/or Linux servers in conjunction with storage services.
- Familiarity with DR and high-availability architectures.
- Experience in the design of enterprise, high-volume, secure systems and data center strategies
- Strong detail orientation, follow-through capabilities and escalation of key issues with practiced analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven written, oral, and presentation skills.
- Developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience writing policies and procedures is required.
- Linux / UNIX experience.
- Scripting and/or Application Programming skills.
- Experiences working or providing external webhosting services.
- Understanding of relevant service management frameworks, such as ITIL and COBIT.
American Institutes for Research - 21 months ago
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) lives and breathes to enhance human performance. The not-for-profit organization conducts...