The System Administrator/Software Systems Engineer is responsible for the effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation and maintenance of systems hardware, software and networks supporting a high volume imaging and OCR environment within a large corporate environment.
This individual will assist users and project teams with technical issues. These activities include but are not limited to the definition of needs, benefits, research; technical strategy, analysis, research, design and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out solutions.
The individual is accountable for the following systems:
high speed scanners, AIX, Windows (servers and workstations). Responsibilities on these systems include engineering, provisioning, security, operations, support, maintenance, research and development and user assistance.
All services and responsibilities will be conducted in a manner consistent with the customers policies, procedures, processes and quality measurements.
- Install new/rebuild/reconfigure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. to maintain optimum performance
- Research and recommend innovative and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups, file transfers, database updates, archival, purges, etc.
- Create. Change and delete user accounts
- Apply OS and application patches and upgrade on a regular basis, upgrade administrative tools and utilities and configure/add new services as necessary.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain complete hardware and software (OS and Application) asset inventory.
- Provide reasonable consultative support to the customer to enhance system experience (e.g. reduce manual verification, increase through put, reduce rejects and key from image).
- Coordinate hardware service with 3rd party vendors when appropriate
- Regularly provide and/or seek advice, recommend actions and resolve rather complex issues/problems
- Bachelor degree with a relevant major such as computer science
- Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Unix and Microsoft
- 4 to 6 years system administration experience
- Ability to interpret and/or discuss information with others which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people
- Aptitude for working on both large and small cross functional teams
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate in writing or verbally with the end users, team members and management
- Previous experience with imaging and OCR systems/applications are a definite plus
- No regular travel is required
- Sometimes requires evenings and weekends, can be scheduled or at times with little advance notice
- 21 months ago - save job
Emdeon is a leading provider of revenue and payment cycle management and clinical information exchange solutions, connecting payers,...