This role will provide engineering and operational support for system operations and will be responsible for the following duties as outlined:
• Maintain system models and databases, uses multiple computer platforms and analysis software.
• Enhance, monitor and maintain Energy Management System features, operator tools and training simulator programs.
• Create and update operating guides, directives, policies and procedures to ensure efficient and effective operations.
• Coordinate operation and availability of company operated generation with effected departments, the Southwest Power Pool (SPP) Reliability Coordinator and the SPP Market Operator including participation with various SPP Working Groups or Task Forces.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with NERC certified system operators, power plant personnel and energy trading personnel to optimize generation operations and fuel cost.
• Develop a thorough understanding of Regional Transmission Organization (RTO) market rules including bidding, congestion, settlements and market monitor functions.
• Coordinate with trading personnel regarding energy transactions, wholesale customers and unit status strategies for participation in RTO markets.
• Track, review and improve generation operations performance related to market monitor requirements.
• Support the Operations Training Coordinator to develop, implement and administer training programs related to Generation and Transmission System Operations.
• Administer NERC Standard and SPP Criteria grid reliability training including system operator (TSO & GSO) Job Task Analysis, NERC Certification testing preparation and NERC Certification CEH planning and providing job related instruction.
Education, Experience and Skill Requirements:
FOR THE POSTING:
The preferred candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Electrical or Mechanical Engineering preferred) and will have related experience in utility resource planning, generation asset management and demonstrate proficiency and comprehensive knowledge of power plant systems, operation and maintenance, generation system operations and dispatching requirements. Knowledge of NERC and SPP reliability and compliance requirements related to System Op-erations also preferred. The appropriate combination of education and experience may be considered for this role, from entry level to experienced candidates.
Candidates should also possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities for further consideration:
• Strong organizational skills and strong oral and written communication skills.
• The ability to evaluate priorities and risks to coordinate activities to minimize cost and maximize reliability.
• The ability to make operational decisions quickly during periods of high stress. Has the ability to lead in critical situations.
• The ability to develop and apply adult learning best practices in a work place setting to enhance system opera-tions performance.
• Demonstrated ability to work with minimal direct supervision, excel in a high energy team environment and man-age time pressures while maintaining a positive, results oriented attitude.
Licenses, Certifications, Bonding and/or Testing Required:
Must have a valid driver's license. NERC System Operator Certification must be obtained within 12 months.
Normal office working conditions with occasional overnight travel. Must have an exceptional work record including good attendance.
Disclaimer: The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Westar Energy wished upon a star, and the answer was -- "focus on power utility resources." Westar Energy has a generating...