AppNexus is looking for Systems Interns to join our Technical Operations group for 12 weeks this summer. The team is responsible for all technical operations including production customer-facing systems in 4 data centers (located around the world) and our corporate headquarters. We have well over a thousand servers, which process hundreds of thousands of ad serving requests per second (billions per day).
We are an all Linux shop (all production operations run on Linux) with mostly Macs for desktops. We use most of the standard technologies and packages you would expect in a Linux shop like perl, puppet, catci, nagios, MySQL, PostgreSQL, apache, etc. We also use some higher end technologies and platforms like Netezza, Vertica and Hadoop.
We have network equipment from Juniper, Cisco, and F5. Our network consists of a dozen Ten Gigabit Ethernet (10GE) ISP connections, more than 20 Gigabit Ethernet (GE) ISP connections, various 10GE and 1GE private peerings and interconnects as well as some private 10GEs and GEs between data centers, and even some leased some dark fiber. Our summer interns will have the chance to learn a lot and contribute to a high growth start-up.
What you’ll work on:
What we look for:
- Application Tuning
- Scripting (perl, python)
- Kernel Performance Tuning
- User Administration
- Hands On Linux Os Experience – All Linux
- Cloud Services & Cluster Management
1. You want to work in and learn about the field of large-scale data center operations and high volume Internet service delivery.
2. You can communicate in a clear and concise manner. Like our full-time employees, our interns are collaborative, energetic and able to communicate effectively to solve problems.
3. You are "smart and gets things done" (and can name the guy who coined that phrase). You can work independently and reliably.
4. You have experience with Scripting (perl, bash), MySQL (preferably postgres) and Linux (functional knowledge).
5. You are a rising junior or senior enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree program.
What we can offer you:
1. Compensation – We are offering a 12 week paid summer internship with a competitive salary and plenty of intangible benefits. Our kitchen is stocked 24/7, we have weekly catered meals, and you’ll have the opportunity to work with and learn from extremely bright and motivated individuals.
2. Mentorship – You will be provided with mentors both on and off of your team who will work closely with you every step of the way. They’ll be there to answer any of your questions, make sure you meet folks across the company, and help you understand the AppNexus Universe.
3. Events – Our internship program is full of educational and social events throughout the summer. You’ll have the opportunity to sit down with each of our executives for lunch, go bowling with your mentor and go rock climbing with your fellow interns. Not to mention, AppNexus celebrates its birthday every summer and hosts an annual family bbq.
4. Performance Management – We want to make sure that you are successful at AppNexus so we will provide real-time feedback throughout the entire summer. Our goal is to make you an offer to join us full time and we will manage your performance the whole way through.