to learn more.
The System Administrator II is part of a small, high-performing team supporting roughly 300 servers and over 4,000 users. Our goal is to ensure that our systems are reliable, secure, and responsive, enabling effective conservation and other business functions for TNC staff, volunteers, and partners. This position’s functional focus is Operations, with an emphasis on administering and supporting our farm of over 140 Windows Servers. The position also assists with implementing new systems and upgrading of existing systems, under the direction of the Senior System Administrator. The position provides an exceptional opportunity to learn and develop under the guidance of many strong Senior level staff who are part of the team.
This System Administrator II has a technology focus of Microsoft Windows-based technologies, with a heavy emphasis on Windows Server, Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, and Citrix XenApp. In support of our environmentally-focused mission, we endeavor to run as many of our systems as possible on virtual machines, currently managed via VMware vSphere/ESX. We use F5 load balancers to deliver many of our enterprise-level services and systems. Therefore, any experience in those areas is also beneficial.
We are a heterogeneous environment with many Linux and some HP-UX based systems. Although this position’s focus is Windows-based systems, experience in Linux and Apache based systems would be beneficial, as it would enable some load balancing of work when other teams could use assistance. This however is not a requirement.
The System Administrator II is expected to have an exceptional work ethic and be a self-starter. He or she must be methodical and have some experience working in a larger environment where structure is important.
Operations and Support
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, enterprise systems and key processes, reviewing system/security logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Investigate and resolve system issues such as those that are identified by our monitoring systems.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with the team manager, Senior System Administrator, and other team members.
- Shared responsibility for responding to after-hours pager alerts from monitoring systems.
- Research and implement solutions to address day to day or longer term operational needs.
Project Support / System Provisioning
- Apply OS and infrastructure system patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, storage management, and resource optimization as required.
- Perform regular file / log archival and purge as necessary.
- Install new or rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with specifications from the Senior System Administrator.
- Install and configure infrastructure systems such as Exchange, Active Directory, or Citrix XenApp, or 3
party applications, according to standard procedures or guidance from the Senior System Administrator.
- Serve as a team member in Projects which engineer and perform upgrades or migrations of existing infrastructure systems.
- One and one-half years of Microsoft system administration experience, with at least one year supporting at least 500 users/customers.
- One year of experience administering Microsoft Exchange Server or Citrix XenApp.
- Bachelor (4-year) degree with a technical major such as engineering or computer science.
- One year of experience administering Active Directory.
- Experience in at least one scripting environment (such as PowerShell, perl, or bash).
- Because our environment also includes non-Windows servers and systems, must be willing and able to work in a heterogeneous networked environment. Experience and proficiency in Linux or UNIX-based systems is preferred but not required.
- Experience with administering Windows servers hosted on VMWare, especially using VSphere.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 41244, submit resume and cover letter as one document. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on July 14, 2013.
Failure to complete all of the required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration. The information entered in the education and work experience sections are auto screened by the system based on the basic qualifications of the position.
You must click
to apply for the position. You may select “save for later” if you prefer to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited.
If you are experiencing technical issues, please refer to our
applicant user guide
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process