Want to build world-class infrastructure for a software company?
Are you an innovative and talented devops-type sysadmin?
Do you believe that infrastructure is code, and should be managed as such?
Then Atlassian may be the place for you! Imagine working in a place where you get to do what you love everyday. We are building a different kind of software company — one that listens to customer needs, values innovation and solves problems with brilliant simplicity.
In this role you will own Atlassian's customer facing and mission critical infrastructure systems. You will be responsible for designing, implementing, monitoring, scaling and optimising these systems. The work is a mixture of forward-looking projects, and care of existing systems. The company is scaling rapidly and this is the team with the most to gain (and the most at stake!).
We're in the process of building our "big bet" for the next several years, a platform for our internal infrastructure that's scalable, reliable and fast. We need experts to build and transition our systems onto this new infrastructure. This is a rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a company and infrastructure that's going to grow rapidly.
You'll need to be a devops sysadmin par excellence , with a passion for repeatable infrastructure, an allergy to unique snowflakes, a habit of improving the status quo, excellent technical skills and communication skills to match. To be successful in this role you'll need to handle a rapid rate of change with spotless reliability, and you must enjoy planning and executing fast-moving projects involving production systems.
This position is located in our Sydney or San Francisco office.
What You'll Do
What You’ve Done
- Build the next generation of our production infrastructure
- Develop modules for our configuration management system
- Build, scale and optimize critical production systems
- Work closely with developers in other teams on ops projects
- Schedule and coordinate maintenance for critical systems
- Coordinate with colocation and datacenter providers
- Ensure the security of our critical systems
Experience testing and automating deployment of infrastructure with Puppet, cfengine, Chef and the like
And, if you’ve got some of this, great!
- Experience with virtualization technologies (KVM, VMWare, OpenVZ or Xen)
- Experience running large-scale web applications on modern platforms (Nginx, Apache, Tomcat, Django, etc)
- Experience running mission-critical Linux production servers
- Proficiency in Python or Ruby
- Ability to monitor and optimise production database servers (primarily PostgreSQL)
- Ability to carry out monitoring and performance analysis using Nagios, Cacti, Munin, Ganglia Hyperic or others
- Knowledge of WAN networking technologies, e.g. routing protocols and VPNs
- Experience with hosted environments and remotely collocated systems
- Very good written and verbal communication skills
Love going to work?
- Experience with network design
- Experience with network firewall design, maintenance and administration - any major brand
- Experience with local and wide-area networking in a Cisco environment
- Responsibility for selecting, building, and monitoring infrastructure based on Cisco kit
- Ability in provisioning, maintaining, and optimizing Java web applications
- Understanding of Java specific performance issues and their resolution, e.g. garbage collection issues
- Experience with storage technologies e.g. SANs, iSCSI etc
- Experience with Atlassian products a plus!
Imagine working in a place where you get to do what you love every day. We are a ten-year young software development company revolutionising the way software is sold and used by businesses worldwide. With a range of innovative software products, we have over 24,000 customers globally. We are building a different kind of software company — one that listens to client needs, values innovation and solves customer problems with brilliant simplicity.
Your dream job?
With offices in Sydney, San Francisco, Amsterdam, and Gdansk we offer global opportunities and the chance to work with like-minds from different cultures. Each day you come to work at Atlassian, you will be coming to work in an open plan office filled with lots of natural light. When you are not sitting in your comfy ergonomic Aeron chair, working on your large LCD monitors and the operating system of your choice, there will be plenty of decisions to make. Maybe you'd like to participate in a lunchtime card game? Would you rather play a Wii Sports game or be a guitar hero? If hunger strikes, head to the kitchen for drinks, fresh fruit, snacks and more. Your choice! Also, look through our website to find out more about life at Atlassian.
"The culture is so refreshing compared to my previous employment in large corporations. The openness of information, the willingness to use new technology (such as using wikis instead of Word documents), daily stand-up meetings to promote communication without the drudgery of long meetings, the honesty of the product offering---they make me love coming to work each day."
John Rotenstein, internal systems
Atlassian - 14 months ago