This position is responsible for maintaining the Windows and Macintosh operating system environments, software, and printing server for administrative and academic computers supported by Computing Services. Provides second level technical support to Desktop Support Consultants and other Computing Services and Carnegie Mellon teams for agreed upon applications or service areas. Must be able to communicate clearly in written and oral forms with faculty, administrative staff and students at all levels of technical ability, to work independently on more than one project at a time, set priorities for completion of projects, and to participate as a member of cross-departmental project teams. May be required to supervise student employees and manage projects as need demands.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience: Up to three years of Windows system or desktop administration and understanding of the current Windows and Macintosh desktop operating systems, experience with trouble-shooting function of operating systems and applications ranging from basic productivity tools to CAD and 3D graphics applications; some experience with Active Directory, SCCM, Casper. Familiarity with desktop Linux is also desirable.
- Skills: Ability to make and meet deadlines; ability to handle multiple projects at the same time, set priorities and focus on the most important among them at any time; good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate to people at all levels of technical experience in writing and orally; ability to work independently or as part of a project team; some ability to write scripts in administrative languages (i.e. Windows Powershell, Bash, AppleScript, Python), Basic understanding of Microsoft Active Directory; Ability to troubleshoot complicated computer or network problems; Good customer service skills and ability to assist difficult customers.
- Physical Mobility: Normally sedentary with some mobility (i.e. able to travel to other campus locations). Ability to conduct domestic travel for training courses or conferences. Ability to occasionally troubleshoot cables and equipment in tight physical locations. Ability to lift computers and monitors that weigh approximately 40 pounds
- Environmental Conditions: Work may be performed in a computer or scientific laboratory, or shared office setting with constant interruptions and background conversation/noise. There is usually close contact with computer monitors for long periods of time.
- Mental: Ability to effectively handle multiple problems and focus on a single task at a given time; excellent questioning and analytical skills, ability to identify, isolate and communicate problems from/to all levels of users; ability to handle frequent interruptions
- Other: May require pager responsibilities 24 hours a day/7 days per week, rotating schedules, holidays, weekends and various on call shifts. may be required to stay at or return to work during incidents and/or emergencies to perform duties as requested.
- Education: Same.
- Experience: Two or more years of related experience, Strong understanding of computer operating systems (Windows 7, Windows 2012 Server, Macintosh OS X) and computer networking (TCP/IP). Various computer related training or certifications (e.g. MCSA). Understanding of the Windows and Macintosh operating system internals. Some experience with operating system security principals. Microsoft SQL or MySQL development experience. Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory. Advanced ability to troubleshoot complicated computer or network problems. Understanding of, Linux, or other desktop or server operating systems.
- Skills: Strong written and oral communication skills
Regular Full Time
CLUSTERS (COMP SVCS)
Minimum Education Level
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
Carnegie Mellon University - 12 months ago
copy to clipboard -
We are a global research university with more than 12,000 students, 92,000 alumni and 5,000 faculty and staff. Carnegie Mellon has been a...