The purpose of this position is to ensure proper operation of the City’s computer systems. This is accomplished by supervising and participating in the maintenance of the City’s software and hardware applications. Other duties include performing maintenance on City servers, providing advanced network and desktop computer support, maintaining software and hardware, providing customer service and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position requires exceptional communication skills so changes to network routing or general network changes are communicated and understood thoroughly. This position provides direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Performs maintenance on City servers by checking disk space and server backups, monitoring the computer systems for viruses, updating virus patches, maintaining software upgrades and monitoring computer servers and systems for efficient operations.
- Provides customer service by training computer users, instructing users on operating system applications, data management, email, graphics and computer resource management and responding to questions and inquiries.
- Provides advanced network and desktop computer support by installing new or existing applications, loading operating systems and required applications onto computers for employees, performing upgrades and software patches as necessary, troubleshooting network, desktop computer and system problems, monitoring LAN connectivity and operation issues, tracing cables and testing ports and by making necessary repairs.
- Maintains software and hardware by troubleshooting computer systems, email server and Internet and router issues, researching and upgrading software patches and updates, patching and reloading software, planning projects involved in upgrades and maintenance and repairing and replacing broken or defective hardware such as computers, peripherals and cabling.
- Assists in training of department personnel, observing and monitoring work tasks, evaluating work performance, coaching employees to correct deficiencies.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Over five years up to and including seven years of relevant experience.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License, MCSE - Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, CCNA- Cisco Certified Network Associate preferred.
Advanced - Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives limited directions. The employee normally performs the duty assignment according to his or her own judgment, requesting supervisory assistance only when necessary. The assignment may be reviewed upon completion. Performance is reviewed periodically.
Has no budget responsibility.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, or temporary employees.
Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Work may require providing advice to others outside direct reporting relationships on specific problems or general policies. Contacts may require the consideration of different points of view to reach agreement. Elements of persuasion may be necessary to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas.